Product key not accepted RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a second hand Toshiba laptop for my granddaughter(11). After a few months I had to format the drive (the rubbish she loaded!!) hoping

I could reinstall XP with the product key on the reverse of the laptop. It is on a Microsoft label.

It does not accept this key so I tried to load another XP disk (hologramed) but that was not accepted either.

This all occured because she wanted Office 2000 loaded for her homework. I tried to load this also but that product key was not accepted.

It was accepted when I loaded it on to my own computer.

I must add that both these Microsoft disks are hologramed so I take it that they are genuine

How do I overcome this problem of loading these programs?

Thanks

Life could be a dream if it wasn't a nightmare!
    • Moved by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 5, 2011 8:36 PM xp issue moved to XP forum (From:Office Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Office))
    Monday, December 27, 2010 12:33 PM

Answers

• "Evacuee" wrote in message news:c34dcb9e-a72c-4e98-a33f-daa09206ec5d...

I bought a second hand Toshiba laptop for my granddaughter(11). After a few months I had to format the drive (the rubbish she loaded!!) hoping

I could reinstall XP with the product key on the reverse of the laptop. It is on a Microsoft label.

It does not accept this key so I tried to load another XP disk (hologramed) but that was not accepted either.

This all occured because she wanted Office 2000 loaded for her homework. I tried to load this also but that product key was not accepted.

I must add that both these Microsoft disks are hologramed so I take it that they are genuine

Thanks

For your Windows XP install, you need an OEM System Builder disk - with 'For installation only on a new PC' in the hologram. If your disk doesn't have that, then it's a Retail disk.
    You could get hold of Toshiba and order a copy of the recovery disks for that machine - it's probably your best option, because it will have all the drivers involved - assuming that they still have stock.
    If you can get hold of an SP3 XP disk (or slipstream one), then you could install that without entering a key, and then use the Product Key Update Tool to change the Key to your OEM_COA one.
    HTH?
    --

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, January 7, 2011 12:17 AM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 12:45 PM

All replies

I bought a second hand Toshiba laptop for my granddaughter(11). After a few months I had to format the drive (the rubbish she loaded!!) hoping

Thanks

For your Windows XP install, you need an OEM System Builder disk - with 'For installation only on a new PC' in the hologram. If your disk doesn't have that, then it's a Retail disk.
    You could get hold of Toshiba and order a copy of the recovery disks for that machine - it's probably your best option, because it will have all the drivers involved - assuming that they still have stock.
    If you can get hold of an SP3 XP disk (or slipstream one), then you could install that without entering a key, and then use the Product Key Update Tool to change the Key to your OEM_COA one.
    HTH?
    --

• Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, January 7, 2011 12:17 AM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 12:45 PM

Thanks

The computer requires an OEM disk to load XP - it's possible that your disk is a Retail one.
    If it has 'For installation only on a new PC' in the hologram, then it's an OEM disk - if not, it's Retail.
    If the disk has SP3 included you can use it to install XP without entering a key at all - and then use the Product Key Update Tool to change the Key to the OEM one. If it doesn't have SP3 included, you may be able to slipstream SP3 into it and create a new CD which will do the same thing.
    Note that your XP disk also needs to be either Home or Pro edition, depending on the COA sticker on the machine itself.

--

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:28 PM