System Drive (41% data still on System Drive) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I have recently replaced 2 of my 500GB hdd with 1TB drives... this has left plenty of space on my Server. However I have a third 1TB drive that I would like to replace the system drive with. Now this is my issue ... I understand the whole removing system drive re-install scenario .... however the "Disk management" add-in says that "Disk 0" the system drive is still 41% in use ... so my question is how do I make the data currently on that disc migrate to the newly acquired space on the new HDD's and then allow me to remove that drive without fear of data loss?

Any idea's help welcome.

Thanks

Ryan

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:14 PM

Answers

• You will need to:
    • Turn duplication on for all shares. If you don't have enough disk space (per the Windows Home Server Console, not Disk Management), add a drive.
    • Wait for your server to finish "balancing". This could take white a while if you have a large amount of unduplicated data right now.
    • Replace the system drive with the new drive.
    • Perform a "Server Reinstallation" (if you've installed the software yourself) or a "Server Recovery" (if you have an OEM product like the HP MediaSmart Server).
    You will need to recreate users, reinstall add-ins and third party software, and reconfigure any OS customizations. You may  also lose your backup database as a result of the reinstallation; Windows Home Server tries to keep it off the system drive (it tries to keep it entirely on one secondary drive, actually) but if you have files on the system drive, components of the backup database could be there as well. In that case, you should simply use the Windows Home Server Toolkit to reset the database.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:22 PM

All replies

• You will need to:
    • Turn duplication on for all shares. If you don't have enough disk space (per the Windows Home Server Console, not Disk Management), add a drive.
    • Wait for your server to finish "balancing". This could take white a while if you have a large amount of unduplicated data right now.
    • Replace the system drive with the new drive.
    • Perform a "Server Reinstallation" (if you've installed the software yourself) or a "Server Recovery" (if you have an OEM product like the HP MediaSmart Server).
    You will need to recreate users, reinstall add-ins and third party software, and reconfigure any OS customizations. You may  also lose your backup database as a result of the reinstallation; Windows Home Server tries to keep it off the system drive (it tries to keep it entirely on one secondary drive, actually) but if you have files on the system drive, components of the backup database could be there as well. In that case, you should simply use the Windows Home Server Toolkit to reset the database.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:22 PM
  •  Ryrager wrote:
    Hi there

I have recently replaced 2 of my 500GB hdd with 1TB drives... this has left plenty of space on my Server. However I have a third 1TB drive that I would like to replace the system drive with. Now this is my issue ... I understand the whole removing system drive re-install scenario .... however the "Disk management" add-in says that "Disk 0" the system drive is still 41% in use ... so my question is how do I make the data currently on that disc migrate to the newly acquired space on the new HDD's and then allow me to remove that drive without fear of data loss?

Any idea's help welcome.

Thanks

Ryan

I'm assuming you've installed Power Pack 1?  If so, there is a tool created by Theo van Elsberg that will "force" the data to move from the primary hard drive to a secondary hard drive.  It's obviously unsupported, so use at your own risk.  Having said that, I tried it in a VM and it worked for me.  See Drive Extender Not Migrating Data (page 7) for more details.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:03 PM