One Care Backups RRS feed

• Question

• I like the idea of the backup option for the Windows One Care program, but for those of us who do not need it (already have a backup procedure in place with another backup program) we should be able to deactivate it from the reminders and system status message....   If I backup on my own, the system status should say "good", and not be downgraded to "Fair" just because I haven't used the system to do it, I'd prefer to do it on my own...

Please let me know if Microsoft has it in the works to shut this feature down, it would improve the program in my opinion....

Thanks

Bill

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:47 AM

Answers

• Good news, BillFromSeattle! This is already a feature in OneCare. You can disable backup for the PC from OneCare and your status will go green, assuming no other actions are pending.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

-steve

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:20 PM

All replies

• Good news, BillFromSeattle! This is already a feature in OneCare. You can disable backup for the PC from OneCare and your status will go green, assuming no other actions are pending.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

-steve

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:20 PM
  • can you configure one care to backup PC of family outside your connection ie over the internet to my WHS ? which is where mine currently backs upto,as  they are already added to my "circle" and are monitored but just wondered if you could configure the "All PC backup" option to do it automatically to my server instead of there own individual options on there computers if you understand what i mean......

its just my sister has no where externally on her pc to back up to and it keeps flashing up on my circle as a backup needs doing.....if possible could some one give me the good old fasioned "idiots Guide" please,

thanks

Scott

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:54 PM
  • Not natively, Scott.

You might be able to do this with Windows Home Server and a VPN connection from your sister's PC to your network, but that's basically an unsupported scenario. It would be much easier to obtain an external hard drive for your sister's PC or have her back up to CD/DVD. Of course, she can also disable backup completely on her PC and her status should then go back to green.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:27 PM
  • ok.

Thanks for the reply

possible pondering thought though........., if she used one care and backed it up on her own pc then, uploaded the backup file to the server, would that work instead of a direct link or would the file alter/change itself if anyway or would it stay intact as an exact copy of her system backup ??

Scott

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:23 PM
  • Hi, Scott. Keep in mind that the OneCare backup is *not* a system backup. It is a backup of the data files selected in the backup plan settings based on file types. It will never include programs or system files. Also, the backup destination is protected by OneCare, so she would first need to change the permissions on the folder of the external drive to see the backup files. And, finally, the backup files are actually numerous zip files along with a catalog of their contents. To accomplish what you are considering would require uploading the changed catalog and all new .zip files within the backup destination folder for the PC. It can be done, but it seems like a whole lot of work and it is *not* a system backup.

Since you are using WHS, you may want to head over to the WHS community to see if anyone can offer guidance in setting up that VPN connection. During the public beta I know of someone who was doing backups to WHS over the Internet using Hamachi as the connection/VPN solution and he was quite happy with it.

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:53 PM
  • You might be able to do this with Windows Home Server and a VPN connection from your sister's PC to your network,

can you walk me tro this my daughter does not have money, and it would be ok with me if she used my external hard drive i have here at home. it would have to work over internat

thank

mr. m

Sunday, November 9, 2008 7:26 PM
  •  sfclarry wrote:

You might be able to do this with Windows Home Server and a VPN connection from your sister's PC to your network,

can you walk me tro this my daughter does not have money, and it would be ok with me if she used my external hard drive i have here at home. it would have to work over internat

thank

mr. m

Here's part of my previous reply on this topic:

"Since you are using WHS, you may want to head over to the WHS community to see if anyone can offer guidance in setting up that VPN connection. During the public beta I know of someone who was doing backups to WHS over the Internet using Hamachi as the connection/VPN solution and he was quite happy with it."

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 3:13 PM