none
posting issue

Question

• Hello , I have an account since 2014 and 4 days ago I can't post messages I receive this message and I don't know why?

Your number of posts today has exceeded the limit

Can help me? I can only respond post already started

Thanxs
    Friday, March 10, 2017 7:35 PM

Answers

• They just now replied engineering is aware of the issue and will update when they have a fix.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by golfgti6 Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:46 AM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 10:35 PM
  • OK, I just tested in the TechNet Sandbox forum and reached the limit. I got the same message that golfgti6 reported above. I posted 19 questions and got the message when I clicked Submit for the 20th. However, I replied in a thread earlier today. I replied to another thread 16 hours ago, but that was yesterday (in my time zone, where it is now 10:27 AM, March 14, 2017).

If this reply is posted, then I am only limited on creating new posts (questions or discussions). If this post fails, then I am totally out action in the forums, perhaps until tomorrow.

Edit: Hmmm, seems I can reply. That's a relief.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:29 PM
  • My guess is the code that does the daily? reset is flakey. It simply isn't resetting for some users but I have still not gotten a reply from engineering on this.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:41 PM
  • Engineering just emailed that the issue should now be fixed.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:16 AM
  • Yes, I have sent them an email almost a week ago, I am waiting for their reply.

Thank you

I just sent another email requesting support. I'd suggest you do the same.

• Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by golfgti6 Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:08 PM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:49 PM
  • OK. In my case................

1. I have, so far, no trouble posting replies.

2. It is starting a thread that I am facing with "limit". Today, I only started 1 thread and I was shut out with the "limit" on the 2nd.
    Now I am unable to tell the members that we have a new Cumulative Update for 1607 (14393.953), and a new Insider Preview build (15058) available.

I am not happy with this silly restriction. Not after 4 years participating with a clean record.

Yes, it is undoubtedly something newly implemented that has issues. You can also email fissues for an update but they have not answered the last three I have sent.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:46 PM
  • Engineering did not say, but my guess is that by "fixed" they mean the limit is now 20 new posts (questions for discussions). The people that reported problems seem to have hit the limit much sooner. Probably best if engineering did not reveal too much detail. It would only help spammers circumvent the limits.

20 is a much better number. I have never come even close to that number, except to test recently. But there are people that post announcements to many forums (Wiki Guru monthly contest) and they will be inconvenienced. My suggestion a year ago was 15 posts in 30 minutes, but that may not be feasible. A daily limit may be the best they can do. And instead of the 120 spam posts we used to have a year ago, I have not seen more than 20 by any one user in a long time. I suspect the limit has helped reduce spam.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:12 PM

All replies

• I'd suggest sending an email with screenshots and details to fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com so admins can investigate problem.

Friday, March 10, 2017 7:49 PM
  • This is only the second time I have heard of someone getting a message about a limit to the number of posts per day. Looking at your profile activities, the limit is not great. Also, it is good to hear that the limit only applies to posts you start, not to threads you reply to.

Over a year ago I suggested that the forum admins should establish such a limit, but only for accounts with zero recognition points. My aim was to reduce spam, since spammers almost never have more than zero points. They used to post many, even more that 100 times in a short period of time. I have noticed recently that spammers seem to quit after about 20 posts, so the forum admins may have established some limit. Still, you have many more points than any spammer, and you seem to have reached the limit sooner than I would expect. An email to fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com will be read by forum administrators.

Friday, March 10, 2017 9:49 PM
  • Hey, I've been getting that message too - but could not even post here to talk about it!

If it persists on Monday I will email to that address listed above. 

Shouldn't there be some address like that always posted, just for these cases!

FWIW I have been active on a couple of forums recently, but I was getting that message on days when I had posted zero messages, so unless it's really a weekly or monthly limit, it's broken.

Thanks,

Josh

Saturday, March 11, 2017 6:20 PM
  • I put in a ticket to find out what triggers the message. Will update here hopefully soon.

Sunday, March 12, 2017 4:53 AM
  • fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com = fissues@microsoft.com ?
    Sunday, March 12, 2017 9:31 PM
  • Yes. It wasn't meant to confuse, it was munged to deter automated harvesters.

• Proposed as answer by Javier Roque Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:28 PM
    Sunday, March 12, 2017 9:50 PM
  • Hi I have had this problem and haven't been able to post in an awful while, could you help me get back into posting because I find this website highly reliable to find solution to my questions eversince I used this forum. 
    Monday, March 13, 2017 2:27 PM
  • Hi I have had this problem and haven't been able to post in an awful while, could you help me get back into posting because I find this website highly reliable to find solution to my questions eversince I used this forum. 

Are you asking about posting with a different profile? Please provide a link. What happens when you try?

Monday, March 13, 2017 2:29 PM
  • Waliur, the number of questions you have asked seems too low to trigger a limit. I hope the limit doesn't apply to replies as well. Have you been unable post because you got the message that the number of your posts exceeded a daily limit?

Monday, March 13, 2017 3:31 PM
  • Well, I still cannot post new messages today, even here.

Do I need to send an email as indicated, or is the problem - and fix - already being processed?

Thanks,

Josh

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:02 PM
  • Does it only happen when creating a new thread?

Yes, I've heard nothing so I'd send the email.

edit: I also sent another email request

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:40 PM
  • Admins just replied they are still waiting for engineering.

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:44 PM
  • OK thanks, I'll hold off a little longer ... maybe my average over time will decrease by itself, or something ...

Josh

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:36 PM
  • I also emailed fissues about this earlier. I just got an email that Engineering is actively working on this.

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:21 PM
  • I received a response from the forum admins. Engineering cannot repro the issue. They are asking me to confirm several things: If I ever encountered a limit in the past, does the limit prevent new posts for more than 24 hours, etc.

In my original email I linked to the profile activities of 4 people that reported getting the message that they exceeded a daily limit for posts. The users had 5, 125, 9000, and 46900 points. I cannot tell from the profiles what the limit might be, as some people only posted 7 questions per day, and some people seemed to be limited when they only replied in existing threads.

If anyone can provide more details, it would help. About how many posts per day caused the problem? Was it just asking questions (new posts), or were replies to existing threads also limited? Did the prohibition on new posts last more than a day?

I am baffled because this issue is certainly new, and must be due to some update that only engineering would be aware of.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:35 PM
  • OK, I just tested in the TechNet Sandbox forum and reached the limit. I got the same message that golfgti6 reported above. I posted 19 questions and got the message when I clicked Submit for the 20th. However, I replied in a thread earlier today. I replied to another thread 16 hours ago, but that was yesterday (in my time zone, where it is now 10:27 AM, March 14, 2017).

If this reply is posted, then I am only limited on creating new posts (questions or discussions). If this post fails, then I am totally out action in the forums, perhaps until tomorrow.

Edit: Hmmm, seems I can reply. That's a relief.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:29 PM
  • My guess is the code that does the daily? reset is flakey. It simply isn't resetting for some users but I have still not gotten a reply from engineering on this.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:41 PM
  • I only got the email from fissues, reporting what SE (engineering ?) told them. I just sent an email to fissues updating them on what I found testing today. Fortunately I can reply. I will need to periodically attempt to submit a new post to see how long the limit lasts. Of course, I don't know what 24 hour period is considered a day.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:03 PM
  • BTW, if that limit is intended to be a safe guard towards SPAM, it's not working.

I got a SPAMMER yesterday in the Visual FoxPro forum here. I marked his message as a SPAM, deleted it.

Today I see another message with the similar content. This time I marked as abuse but left in the forum - you may want to look it up.

I didn't notify the fissues (too much work), but you may mention this fact in your correspondence.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:20 PM
  • I am having the same problem.

What limit ?

I have been a member since March 30th 2014, and I have been posting in TechNet IT Pro forums since then. 15,775 points will attest to that.

This is the first time I get this message, and I posted no more than 4 times today, that includes a couple of replies.

What is the problem ?

• Edited by david hk129 Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:18 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:15 PM
  • What is the problem ?

It is still unknown. Possibly some daily reset code is not always working. Stay tuned.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:33 PM

Sounds like a good guess.

When it comes to actually posting questions, I'm looking at my activity display and it looks like I've never asked more than a couple of questions per day, though some days I've responded a fair amount, maybe ten on one day.

So my guess is that it's mistaking a total response count over a long period, or a max response count on any one day, and mistaking that for number of new posts, since that's what it's limiting.

Azure is a bundle of fun and I've been pretty active on MSDN since getting into it a few months ago.  Or, could the crossover from Azure forums be part of the problem, I can't quite tell if they're in a separate category or not.

Thanks,

Josh

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:38 PM
  • I can't quite tell if they're in a separate category or not.

I think there are three channels there. The MSDN channel would be part of TechNet/MSDN. StackOverFlow and Serverfault would not be included.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/forums/

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:44 PM
  • What is the problem ?

It is still unknown. Possibly some daily reset code is not always working. Stay tuned.

Thank you.

OK. Now please tell me how I can find out my limit ?

This is very stupid. Over 4 years contributing in TechNet forums and suddenly I am under the limit in order to prevent spamming ?

Geez !!

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:15 PM
  • Richard did some testing that might indicate 20 or so but if the reset mechanism is broken then it would not matter since it now become cumulative. All speculation at this point though.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:19 PM
  • Richard did some testing that might indicate 20 or so but if the reset mechanism is broken then it would not matter since it now become cumulative. All speculation at this point though.

OK. In my case................

2. It is starting a thread that I am facing with "limit". Today, I only started 1 thread and I was shut out with the "limit" on the 2nd.
    Now I am unable to tell the members that we have a new Cumulative Update for 1607 (14393.953), and a new Insider Preview build (15058) available.

I am not happy with this silly restriction. Not after 4 years participating with a clean record.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:42 PM
  • OK. In my case................

Yes, it is undoubtedly something newly implemented that has issues. You can also email fissues for an update but they have not answered the last three I have sent.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:46 PM
  • I am not happy with this silly restriction. Not after 4 years participating with a clean record.

About every four years something goes haywire, and this seems to be one of them.

About five years ago I (and presumably others) could not log on at all, and that was heck to get reported and fixed.

Josh

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:52 PM
  • I did the same test in sandbox forum and got the Your number of posts today has exceeded the limit. after 20 posts.

Engineers did just now reply and are asking if users with the issue have signed out / signed back in with microsoft account. I asked them to interact with this thread as well.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:06 PM
  • Engineers did just now reply and are asking if users with the issue have signed out / signed back in with microsoft account. 

I just tested this and it does not help for me.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:13 PM
  • Engineers did just now reply and are asking if users with the issue have signed out / signed back in with microsoft account. I asked them to interact with this thread as well.

I do not have local account. Only one MS account which I use on 3 laptops.

I boot up my other laptop > login to TechNet IT Pro > tried to start a thread > Same error message.

So, I am afraid your engineer's suggest does not help  my cause.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:16 PM
  • So, I am afraid your engineer's suggest does not help  my cause.

Right, I just confirmed as well.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:20 PM
  • I would speculate that if I were to create a local account with different email address, I would be able to start a new thread.

I'm cooking dinner now. Might try my speculation later on.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:38 PM
  • I just tested this and it does not help for me.

Me too neither.

J.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:24 AM
  • Me too neither.

J.

Hello, they now know this new information. Stay tuned

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:29 AM
  • I just was able to post a new thread in the Sandbox forum, after several failures during the day. I hit the limit about 11 or 12 hours ago, so the limit must not be for 24 hours. I am guessing that it is a new day in UTC, and that is what matters.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:40 AM
  •  I am guessing that it is a new day in UTC, and that is what matters.

I'd agree since I am also able to post a new thread, so it seems the accumulator resets for us but not other users.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:46 AM
  • Me too neither.

J.

Hello, they now know this new information. Stay tuned

I now am able to start a new thread.

That is a great start.

Now, my concern is...... is there still a limit on how many new threads I am allowed to start ?

• Edited by david hk129 Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:00 AM
  • Right now it appears to be around 20

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:04 AM
  • Based on my and Dave Patrick's experience, I would say there is still a limit, perhaps about 20, at least for people with many points. The limit could be less for people with fewer points. But it seems the clock resets at 12:00 AM UTC.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:05 AM
  • I won't need 20.
    For limit of starting a new thread, 10 will be more than I need.

If so, I don't have a problem..... not any more.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:14 AM
  • Based on my and Dave Patrick's experience, I would say there is still a limit, perhaps about 20, at least for people with many points. The limit could be less for people with fewer points. But it seems the clock resets at 12:00 AM UTC.

Now working (here) for me, too.  Thanks for the fix!

20 per day?  I doubt if I've ever done 20 per week, so that sounds fine, just so it works.

Thanks,

Josh

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:30 AM
  • Engineering just emailed that the issue should now be fixed.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:16 AM
  • Thank you.
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:22 AM
  • Engineering did not say, but my guess is that by "fixed" they mean the limit is now 20 new posts (questions for discussions). The people that reported problems seem to have hit the limit much sooner. Probably best if engineering did not reveal too much detail. It would only help spammers circumvent the limits.

20 is a much better number. I have never come even close to that number, except to test recently. But there are people that post announcements to many forums (Wiki Guru monthly contest) and they will be inconvenienced. My suggestion a year ago was 15 posts in 30 minutes, but that may not be feasible. A daily limit may be the best they can do. And instead of the 120 spam posts we used to have a year ago, I have not seen more than 20 by any one user in a long time. I suspect the limit has helped reduce spam.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:12 PM
  • Spam is always a problem.

So is anti-spam.

LOL.

Josh

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:34 PM
  • Precisely that is what I have got. I dont know if it is because the posts number or how often I reply? 
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:31 PM
  • If you're still having an issue I'd try signing out of your Microsoft account and sign in again.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:39 PM
  • Solved Ty So much
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:27 PM
  • Good news.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:32 PM
  • Thanks
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:36 AM
  • Good news.

I have had this problem for more than a week and it still persists. I do not know if any moderator can do anything.

Thank you
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:02 AM
  • I have had this problem for more than a week and it still persists. I do not know if any moderator can do anything.

We can't do anything. Did you email fissues?

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:19 PM
  • Yes, I have sent them an email almost a week ago, I am waiting for their reply.

Thank you
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:43 PM

Thank you

I just sent another email requesting support. I'd suggest you do the same.

• Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by golfgti6 Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:08 PM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:49 PM
  • They just now replied engineering is aware of the issue and will update when they have a fix.

• Marked as answer by golfgti6 Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:46 AM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 10:35 PM

Ok thxs , i'm waiting news.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:46 AM
  • Your number of posts today has exceeded the limit

Just an update; engineering reports this issue has been fixed.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 12:55 PM