Increase System Partition RRS feed

• Question

• For my server I installed the system partition on a 500GB drive and use a couple of 2TB drives in a raid for shared folders & backups.

This means there's a 60GB partition with the system on it and an empty 440GB partition.

Would it work to "shrink" the 440GB partition and "extend" the 60GB partition in the windows storage manager on the server - or would this render the WHS unusable like it would have with WHS version 1?

drm
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 7:53 PM

All replies

• When you say "an empty 440GB partition", that should be allocated to server storage and assigned the drive letter D: It can be used for server storage like your other two 2TB drives. How did the shares get to the 2TB drives; they should have been created on D:

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 8:17 PM
  • The 440 GB partition is D and it is empty in the sense that I'm not using it for anything. I'm using only the 2 TB Raid for backups & server storage.

What I want to do is increase the size of the system partition - C - at the expense of the other partition - D - that I have no plans to use.

Saturday, July 2, 2011 8:28 PM
  • What are you planning to do with a bigger C: drive?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 8:40 PM
  • I'm running sharepoint foundation 2010 and in my experience the sharepoint database on the system drive can get quite large even if you keep an eye on it.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 9:06 PM
  • OK, I don't know if you can do what you suggest but I would be inclined to move your Sharepoint database to your D: drive and have it backed up as part of your regular server backups. That is what I do with my Mail Server (hMailserver) and it works fine.

Saturday, July 2, 2011 9:16 PM