WHS reboots every few minutes and when I try to logon RRS feed

• Question

• When I switch on WHS starts and a logon screen is presented. 
    When I log in as Administrator the system thinks for a half minute then pops up the standard shutdown window announces its going to shut down.  It then reboots.  If I put in the wrong password it correctly prompts for the right one.  If I just leave it alone it waits a few minutes and then announces a shutdown and restarts.

I've tried powering off everything but to no avail.

Whats going on ...?  I'm thinking I'm going to have to rebuild.

Regards

Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:14 PM

Answers

• Kariya21
    Couldn't get in remotely or via local keyboard/screen.
    Started a rebuild yesterday evening.
    So far everything seems ok and data/files mailtained through the rebuild.

Regards
    • Marked as answer by fatfred00 Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:01 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:01 AM

All replies

• When I switch on WHS starts and a logon screen is presented. 
    When I log in as Administrator the system thinks for a half minute then pops up the standard shutdown window announces its going to shut down.  It then reboots.  If I put in the wrong password it correctly prompts for the right one.  If I just leave it alone it waits a few minutes and then announces a shutdown and restarts.

I've tried powering off everything but to no avail.

Whats going on ...?  I'm thinking I'm going to have to rebuild.

Regards

Are you using a 120 day eval or OEM license?  If eval, has it been 120 days since you installed it?  If it's OEM, did you ever join it to a domain and/or make it a Domain Controller?  If not, you might have to do a Server Reinstallation.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Kariya
    Thanks

OEM license.  Never joined to a domain / or made it a domain controller (not even sure I know how to ...)

Only thing I've done today is install EAC (Exact Audio Copy) so that I can copy CDs and serve the music.

Regards
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Kariya
    Thanks

OEM license.  Never joined to a domain / or made it a domain controller (not even sure I know how to ...)

Only thing I've done today is install EAC (Exact Audio Copy) so that I can copy CDs and serve the music.

Regards

Was it working properly before you installed that app on the server (which is unsupported)?  If so, you should try uninstalling it.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 12:47 AM
  • Kariya21
    Thanks

And how do I get into the system to uninstall it?

Regards
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:47 AM
  • Kariya21
    Thanks

And how do I get into the system to uninstall it?

Regards

Did you try logging in with a keyboard, mouse and monitor (maybe it won't reboot before you logon that way).  If you can't uninstall it that way, you'll probably have to do a Server Reinstallation.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:22 AM
  • Kariya21
    Couldn't get in remotely or via local keyboard/screen.
    Started a rebuild yesterday evening.
    So far everything seems ok and data/files mailtained through the rebuild.

Regards
    • Marked as answer by fatfred00 Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:01 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:01 AM