Migration from WHS evaluation PC to HP Smart Media server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was testing WHS on an old PC and I've found it so good that I decided to move to HP Smart Media Server...

My new HP Smart Media server arrived today and I expect to migrate it...

What I'm doing:

1.- Backing up my old server data

2.- Removing the PC connector software.

3.- Installing the new software on the client PC`s

4.' Restoring ol data in the server shares.....

Is there a better approach to do this?

Manuel

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:11 AM

Answers

•  

Thanks for all replies....

Basically I replaced my main home desktop with the WHS evaluation license to explore WHS abilities..

Being convinced of WHS benefits, I preferred to buy a dedicated WHS (HP Smart Media) and recover my former desktop PC. Done that, WHS on my HP is OK. Everything has been migrated quite smoothly.

I believe the WHS documentation should provide with tips on how to migrate and move (a good scenario map or workflow will help). There is people out there (me included) that are not Server-geek, which is WHS target audience. Options such as server reinstallation or any other thing is basically unknown to individuals with no server experience.

All in all, everything is working smoothly and very happy with WHS....

Thanks to all...

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:28 PM

All replies

• Sure, just copy from shares on the old WHS PC to shares on the new HP MediaSmart Server. Also, how are you "backing up" your shares? If you use NTBackup or a similar backup tool and your WHS has multiple disks in the storage pool, you will not get your files that way, only the tombstones that are kept on D:.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:20 PM
  •  Manuelvg wrote:

Hi,

I was testing WHS on an old PC and I've found it so good that I decided to move to HP Smart Media Server...

My new HP Smart Media server arrived today and I expect to migrate it...

What I'm doing:

1.- Backing up my old server data

2.- Removing the PC connector software.

3.- Installing the new software on the client PC`s

4.' Restoring ol data in the server shares.....

Is there a better approach to do this?

Manuel

I would actually bring up the new server.

Remote desktop into it.

Transfer the data from the one server to the new one.

Now reinstall cleint on client machines and done.
    I don't think there is a reason for step 1 if you can bring both online at the same time and just transfer one to the other.
    (Unless of course that's exactly what you meant by backup)
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:21 PM
  • There is no reason why you cannot have two servers on the same network, so setting up your 'new' server while the 'old' one is still live, will mean that you can just transfer your shared folders contents from one machine to the other. I wouldn't attempt transferring your client backups, it would be far easier to just do a manual backup of each client as soon as they have the Connector software installed.

Colin

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:34 PM
  • All,

Thanks for the replies...

Actually the last reply seems to be a very interesting solution.... I'll try that one. Actually, I have not seen any guidance from Microsoft to help "migrating WH servers from evaluation".

Regards

Manuel

Friday, February 8, 2008 10:36 AM
  •  Manuelvg wrote:

All,

Thanks for the replies...

Actually the last reply seems to be a very interesting solution.... I'll try that one. Actually, I have not seen any guidance from Microsoft to help "migrating WH servers from evaluation".

Regards

Manuel

Always glad to help. Be sure to mark a post or multiple posts as your answer when you are ready.

This helps keep the board clean and resourceful for others when they havea similiar question.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 11:13 AM
  • Manuel, I would say that there's no guidance for the migration because it's so simple. Most users are migrating from Eval to OEM on the same hardware; that requires a server reinstallation, but is non-destructive and fairly easy to figure out IMO. And when you're migrating to new hardware, well, go ahead and leave the old server running until you're satisfied the new one is stable. Just remember to give it a different machine name.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 5:04 PM
  •  

Thanks for all replies....

Basically I replaced my main home desktop with the WHS evaluation license to explore WHS abilities..

Being convinced of WHS benefits, I preferred to buy a dedicated WHS (HP Smart Media) and recover my former desktop PC. Done that, WHS on my HP is OK. Everything has been migrated quite smoothly.

I believe the WHS documentation should provide with tips on how to migrate and move (a good scenario map or workflow will help). There is people out there (me included) that are not Server-geek, which is WHS target audience. Options such as server reinstallation or any other thing is basically unknown to individuals with no server experience.

All in all, everything is working smoothly and very happy with WHS....

Thanks to all...

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:28 PM