none
Sync data between Windows Mobile 5 or 6 and SQL Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Sync Framework 2.1 doesn't support Windows Mobile 5 or 6. Can I use SyncFx 2.1 to create a sdf database at the desktop side and copy this sdf into a device, Then update the data in the sdf via my device windows application by .NET Compact Framework 3.5 SP2. After that, copy this sdf back to the desktop and use Windows desktop side program to sync this sdf database with SQL Server 2008? I study Sync Services for ADO.net. But an expert said it may have problem when the database is huge. My database on Mobile side is about 1.5Gb.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 3:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sync Fx 2.1 actually supports devices using the SqlCeClientSyncProvider (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd938879.aspx for a walkthrough).

what you're thinking will actually work. if am not mistaken, you just have to be aware of some performance issues around index rebuilding on the device due to different collation.

Saturday, December 4, 2010 12:49 AM
  • JuneT has it right.

SyncService doesn't put limitations on database sizes, however SqlCe supports up to 4GB. what issues are you refering to with the large databases ? I agree there will be some perf overhead with  huge tables and tracking tables especially the index is not built right. do you mean some issues other than that ?

thanks

Yunwen

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 6:41 PM