Repetitive client backup problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to do the initial backup of a client laptop to WHS 2011, but on each occasion, an error is being thrown on the client side. This has occurred at different percentage of completion of the backup - the highest being about 75%). The client laptop is connected to a hard-wired Ethernet connection, has plenty of free space (145 of 454 GB), is connected to line power for the duration of the backup and has its power settings set to never turn off. The time to failure can be several hours and is reported in the WHS Dashboard as either "Unsuccessful" or "Incomplete".

There is one other client PC on this network that is backing up to the WHS with no difficulty.

The errors seen in the Windows Event Log ("Windows Server" log) on the client laptop are:

Backup of volume C: to JOHNSFAM-NEW did not succeed. Reason: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.NTFS.VolumeBuffer.EndRead()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.NTFS.ClusterRangeReader.Dispose()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass2()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

Backup of volume C: to JOHNSFAM-NEW did not succeed. Reason: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007045D): The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007045D)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.NTFS.ClusterBitMapReader.Next()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

Backup of volume C: to JOHNSFAM-NEW did not succeed. Reason: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The device is not ready. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070015)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.NTFS.VolumeBuffer.BeginRead(Int64 firstCluster, Int32 clusterCount)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.NTFS.ClusterRangeReader.MoreReadAhead(VolumeBuffer b)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.NTFS.ClusterRangeReader..ctor(Volume volume, RangeReader getNextRange)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass2()

Thanks

Lionel

Sunday, June 10, 2012 6:11 PM

Answers

• Run chkdsk /r on all the volumes on that client, then try another backup. You can also check the others event logs for errors from the same time as the once you've shown us above.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, June 11, 2012 12:24 AM

All replies

• Run chkdsk /r on all the volumes on that client, then try another backup. You can also check the others event logs for errors from the same time as the once you've shown us above.

Monday, June 11, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Ken:

Thanks for the response - I'll try it this evening when I get home

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Don't be too surprised if you find you have some sort of hardware issue on that client. The I/O errors you're seeing suggest disk or controller issues.

Monday, June 11, 2012 8:12 PM
  • Ken:

Thanks

The "chkdsk /r" fixed the problem and resulted in not only the client backup succeeding but also causing it to run a lot faster. A second, manually initiated, backup from the same client succeeded as well. So it doesn't appear to be a controller issue - probably just bad disk sectors.

Still - you would think that in the case of errors like this, Microsoft would give the user a hint as to what to do - rather than just reporting "Unsuccessful" or "Incomplete". After all, a number of "home users", at which this product is ostensibly targeted, probably have never seen "chkdsk" before. 

Lionel

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:10 PM
  • ... you would think that in the case of errors like this, Microsoft would give the user a hint as to what to do ...

Most likely, the backup engine (running on the client) can't tell exactly what the problem is. I/O device errors and "Device not ready" errors are usually indications of serious hardware issues, but the specific issue is often nearly impossible to determine.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:39 PM