Unwanted Deletions RRS feed

• Question

• I have just run a Synchronise preview on SyncToy 2.1.  It wants to do 409 deletions, quite a few directories the contents of which have not been changed since the last Run, and most of the large number of files it wants to delete also haven't been changed.  I have had this experience before when it deleted over 1,000 files plus many directories in the right folder, then when I ran it soon after copied them from the Left (being over 1GB, over a wireless LAN - fortunately WPA2, that took some time!).

I run SyncToy from my XP home SP3 laptop, the Left folder being My Documents on my Vista desktop.  The laptop's My Documents is about 17,000 files 16.5GB, and the Right folder contains this complete tree.  But the Desktop's My Documents folder contains some sub-directories that are not in SyncToy's Left folder.  Both My Documents trees reside in the respective D: partition with the same address structure D:\Cedric.

Why does it want to delete unchanged files and directories?  Using Windows explorer's My Network Places I can see and open files on the opposite computer from each computer.  I run Norton Internet Security on both machines.

Cedric
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 10:20 AM

All replies

• It looks like you have 'Echo' action set...
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Piotr,

I have now tried 3 MS forums, but didn’t see your reply until today (the automated alert didn't seem to work).  In addition to this one I have posted on <http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xpprograms/thread/c563ca32-b491-4249-ab63-850d5277fd36> and <http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/synctoy/thread/ca75d159-e14d-4f68-9999-d1414d7d084f>, without any answers.

I mostly use the synchronise setting, because I may edit or create some files on the desktop, and others on the laptop.  I synchronise quite frequently so that I can ensure I don’t edit the same file on both machines.  Recently, in response to a suggestion I saw on a forum, I tried the “check file content” option, but abandoned it after the preview appeared to have only progressed about 25% after about 90 mins.  The next time I ran SyncToy in synchronise action it deleted about 1,500 files on the laptop (right folder) and recopied them from the desktop, plus renamed maybe 6,000 (maybe 40% of files), giving them the same name as they had.
    Cedric
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 12:05 PM