none
MS Money has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running MsMoney 2001 standard on every PC I've had since 2001. Slight problem with Windows 10 but that was sorted with an upgrade. No problems otherwise, it just works. Until today. Now getting a Microsoft Money has stopped working box when I go to log in. Up to date details are there in the background. Any suggestions or do we have to wait on a new general fix from Microsoft?
    • Edited by emmcd Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:47 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:46 AM

All replies

• I would copy your *.mny and *.mbf files to a USB flash drive in case something goes wrong.

You can do a quick repair on the last file opened with Start->Run
    and entering "msmoney -s" without the quotes into the box.

You can do a level 2 standard repair by launching salv.exe from a typical install (if 64-bit Windows) with
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2001\salv.exe"

You can open Money and start a restore by launching the *.mbf file in Windows Explorer.

You can test the Money install by copying Sample.mny to your documents folder, and opening that copy.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 11:44 AM
  • Thanks for that, running the quick repair worked.

Interestingly, the problem originally occurred when I went to sell an investment and recurred after i ran the quick repair module. I did a work around involving return of capital and removing shares, which seems to have done the trick. I've sold investments before without any difficulty so will keep an eye on it.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Thanks for that, running the quick repair worked.

Interestingly, the problem originally occurred when I went to sell an investment and recurred after i ran the quick repair module. I did a work around involving return of capital and removing shares, which seems to have done the trick. I've sold investments before without any difficulty so will keep an eye on it.

Nice!

You might want to keep a copy of your current file, and make a version repaired with salv.exe to see if it avoids the problem from occurring.

Take the opportunity to review your backup procedures. If your file became corrupted during use, and you overwrite your only  backup upon exit, you would replace your good backup with a backup of a corrupted file. Also consider what a crashed hard drive would do.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:32 PM
  • Just run into the same issue. When I add a sell to an investment and go back to Home it crashes. Then the file can't be opened any more.
    Saturday, March 11, 2017 1:26 PM
  • Just run into the same issue. When I add a sell to an investment and go back to Home it crashes. Then the file can't be opened any more.

You are running Money 2001? If you are running Money 2005 or later, try this:

Open any file you can, such as Sample.mny.
    You can  probably do that by going to your Money install folder,
    right-clicking Sample.mny, and choosing Open.
    Go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.
    Close Money.

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Then go to Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplaySettings and Remove the
    Investment Performance module. If you still have a problem, remove
    everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back until
    the crash does not happen. Add back in the other things you want
    on the home page. Let us know which was the problem module.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplaySettings and Remove the
    Investment Performance module. If you still have a problem, remove
    everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back until
    the crash does not happen. Add back in the other things you want
    on the home page. Let us know which was the problem module.

Saturday, March 11, 2017 2:46 PM
  • Have you by any chance got the Investment Performance widget displayed on the Money home page? I noticed that straight before the crash this panel wasn't visible, then the file wouldn't open again. After a backup restore, I removed this panel from the Home screen and re-entered the transaction in the investments accounts, and voila, no more crashes! Must be a bug with the performance analyser, and because that's the first thing that gets shown it keeps crashing every time you open money once the bug has been triggered by whatever it is that is doing it. Give that a try...
    Saturday, March 11, 2017 5:34 PM
  • I had the same problem; I had been doing a lot of investment changes and buying just one extra investment caused Money to crash and not open.  Thanks for the tip; going back to a known good copy and removing the Investment Performance widget from the Home page has sorted the problem.  The space available for the widget on the Home page may have been limited and too much content to display may have caused it to crash?  I might try restoring the widget to the Home page next month, when there is less to analyse...
    Saturday, June 30, 2018 10:12 PM

• I have been using MS Money 2002 and have faced similar problems when Windows OS has been upgraded from 7 to 8 and then to 10.<o:p></o:p>

Somewhere on a website I saw a solution that had intricate instructions on changing some registry entries. I tried it and it worked.<o:p></o:p>

But the problem reappeared... so it seems that the problem is a function of the hardware, OS and the specific MS Money version.<o:p></o:p>

In the latest instance of the problem I installed MS Money 2002 Standard Edition Version 10 on a laptop with Win 8.1 Pro 2013. It worked for a day. The next day it came with an error message. So I re-installed Money. It worked again, but did not work the next day. <o:p></o:p>

One simple solution that has worked for me to to turn off Money Express. Once I did that, Money has been working quite fine. I don't know if this will last. Keeping my fingers crossed.<o:p></o:p>

I had read about this solution somewhere on the net, but cannot locate the webpage now.<o:p></o:p>

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:17 PM