Any guide on how to use dyndns.org? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using dyndns for my DDNS for a couple years, and it's worked great. My router supports it, and I can point incoming traffic to a machine that I want. I just bought a 495 MediaSmart Home Server, and I can't figure out how to use the dynds connection. Instead, it wants me to use homeserver.com or TZO. Does Home Server support the use of dyndns? If so, any links to instructions would be most welcome. I've scoured google and there are mentions that it can be done, but the information is pretty sparse on what exactly people did to get it to work.

Thanks for any help.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    using the homeserver.com domain is the recommended method, since you get a certificate for the machine for this domain. (I believe the tzo domain has some different conditions - if I remember correctly you would have to pay for it after a year or so.)
    You also cannot configure other domain names directly in the Windows Home Server.
    But you still can use your dyndns domain in the router to access your home server - even if you get a certificate warning in this case.
    I found it very helpful in the few cases, in which the WHS Custom Domain services did not register properly and remote access to the homeserver.com domain was not working.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:36 PM