ISP IP change notification.... RRS feed

• Question

• anyone have a solution on how to get notified on when your isp changes your public ip address? 
    Monday, March 19, 2007 11:29 PM

Answers

• dyndns.org.  Sign up for their account and they have a small agent you can install that can send you an email when your IP changes...  Could be installed on WHS, I would guess (haven't tried)
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 2:03 AM
  • I was hoping for a solution that does not require a purchase...perhaps a freeware program.  Every once in while my ISP will change my ip address and its a pain to remember to log in to your router or navigate to a website to get your ip address to make sure you have the right one in order to access your server remotely.  Thanks for the answer though.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:47 PM

All replies

• dyndns.org.  Sign up for their account and they have a small agent you can install that can send you an email when your IP changes...  Could be installed on WHS, I would guess (haven't tried)
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 2:03 AM
  • I was hoping for a solution that does not require a purchase...perhaps a freeware program.  Every once in while my ISP will change my ip address and its a pain to remember to log in to your router or navigate to a website to get your ip address to make sure you have the right one in order to access your server remotely.  Thanks for the answer though.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:47 PM
  • For simple dynamic dns names (that are based off of their common domains) it is free, as is the utility. I have an address registered with their .homeip.net domain and haven't paid a dime to them...  Works great for my homeserver... :)
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:55 PM
  • I use dyndns for this.  I get to use a constant name to access my home network, and I dont have to care if my IP address is changed.

Since I use an ipcop firewall (http://www.ipcop.org/) between my LAN and cable modem, it was really straightforward to implement this functionality.  My firewall regularly sends my ip address to dyndns to keep it up to date.  It will also immediately send an update if the ip address has changed.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 2:17 AM
  • I've been using dyndns to resolve my ip to a name.  Also, the Netgear wgr614 wireless router has a setting that will notify dyndns of an ip change. Don't know how it works, but it does. My ip has changed 3 times in a week!
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 10:53 AM
  • Check your router, there maybe a dnydns setting. If not I'd pickup a cheap one that does have that feature. I picked up a belkin router for $9.99 a couple of months ago...
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 10:58 AM
  • There are a number of these service.  I use both dyndns and no-ip.com.  I've had good service with both, and both are free for home use.

Cheers,
    Lumpy

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 12:31 PM
  • I use ZoneEdit (http://www.zoneedit.com/)

You can have up to 5 Domain names before you have to purchase credits.

The site doesn't look much but they provide an excellant service.

Michael
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 2:58 PM