Learning Manager - unfortunately - pretty buggy and therefore almost useless RRS feed

• Question

• When I'm searching for a text (e.g. 70-553) through the search box the request takes a) forever and is b) almost every time answered with an error page.
    When I browse through the exams and want to add them to "my learning" the button seems to do nothing at first, and after a long time you get the feedback (sometimes "an error occurred while processing this request" or the German localized version). If you're really lucky the exam has been added to "my learning"
    Seriously - it feels more like a alpha or beta page instead of a production site...
    I'm using Vista with IE 7
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Iwer--

I would definitely be interested in discussing this further with you.  Can you provide a little more detail for me? 

What country do you reside?
    What times of the day do you notice the slowness? 
    How often do you notice slowness?
    When did you first start to notice the site slowness?

And last but certainly not least, I am curious to know a little more about your experience with the call center.  You can email me at learnmgr@microsoft.com and I can correspond with you directly on that part.

Thanks!
    Alicia

Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Friday, May 30, 2008 8:18 AM

All replies

• I'm afraid I can't really help here - but I can say that I'm not experiencing such issues. Searches are fast, and adding and removing exams, learning plans etc is near-instant.

I did notice that searching the list of exams in isolation was strangely slow, but not too slow.

Maybe there is some local environmental issue?
    Do other aspects of the learning manager work for you?

Sure, the LM isn't perfect, but I wouldn't say it's an alpha release. And isn't everything on the web these days a beta? :)

Seriously, the LM isn't as bad as you're experiencing, but there's clearly a major problem preventing you from using it properly.

Maybe one of the admin people can ask some pertinent questions to help diagnose why you're suffering?
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:08 PM
  • the strange thing about it is that I called the regional service center and this guy I talked to (I don't remember his name) told me that he was experiencing the same problems with the LM and that this is being investigated. From his experience it'll take at least a month for this issue to be fixed (are they supposed to say that?) and that the current online version is more a beta version (or even THAT?)

I tried it again a couple minutes ago - and now the system works okay, but still slow: clicking on "add to my learning" - wait 14s without anything happening and then the text is changed to "in my learning"; the language switching took >60s and a search takes around 20s... switching to "my learning": 20s - and it doesn't seem to be my local system because I tried it on two different computers and other pages are working fine and fast. oh.. and my internet connection isn't slow :)

Other parts work fine but slow... and I'll gladly help further investigating the issue ;)

And sorry if my first post was a bit too harsh - it was just so frustrating dealing with a website that didn't work for me when all I wanted was studying for other exams :)

Friday, May 30, 2008 6:33 AM
  • Hi Iwer--

I would definitely be interested in discussing this further with you.  Can you provide a little more detail for me? 

What country do you reside?
    What times of the day do you notice the slowness? 
    How often do you notice slowness?
    When did you first start to notice the site slowness?

And last but certainly not least, I am curious to know a little more about your experience with the call center.  You can email me at learnmgr@microsoft.com and I can correspond with you directly on that part.

Thanks!
    Alicia

Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Friday, May 30, 2008 8:18 AM