Looking for recommendations on which UPS to buy for the EX475 MediaSmart Server? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am looking into buying a UPS unit for my EX475 server. I do not think I need a large UPS because the unit is headless and it really doesn't seem like it should consume a lot of power. 

These are my requirements for a UPS unit:
    • Automatic shutdown if power is out for extended period
    • Replaceable battery
    • Audible alerts (probably any UPS unit will do this)
    • Compatible with WHS or Server 2003. This means it should integrate with the UPS tab of the Power Options control panel applet.
    • Something ~$100 USD

I was at best buy earlier tonight and looked at the cyberpower units. I did not buy one because they did not say they were Windows 2003 compatible and you had to send away for the USB cable. Also I am not sure if the cyberpower units are reliable. The product reviews I have read are mixed.

At this point I am leaning towards buying APC because they seem to be the most reliable and have the most satisfied users. I saw a couple sites which sell refurbished units and I was thinking about picking up a Back-UP CS 500. Anyone have any recommendations?

• Changed type kariya21Moderator Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:16 AM not a technical question
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:57 AM

All replies

• For simplicity, if you do decide to buy a UPS, I would buy a small APC UPS, or other UPS that can communicate using the same (USB) protocol. That way you will be able to use the UPS service that's built into Windows.

However, the use of a UPS with your server is unsupported, and some users have reported issues when they connected a UPS to their server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:12 AM
  • I use an APC LCD-1500 UPS with my HP MSS EX-470.  I know this seems like a lotta UPS, but I have all four HD bays filled.  In addition, I also have my router and external 4-port eSATA enclosure on the same UPS.  All four external HD bays are also filled.  Finally, my Laser printer is plugged into the Surge-Protection outlets of the UPS, but not UPS protected.

For software, I'm using the Grid-Junction Addin.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:18 AM

• I'm currently using an APC BE750G, which lets my server run for about a 20-30 minutes or so.  I have my router & modem plugged into it as well.  It connects to the server via USB.  There is an add-in (3rd party, check the dev forum) that integrates with window's power system.  You can use the add-in, or you can simply use windows to control what happens when the system runs on battery.  I've also installed APC's software PowerChute on my server in the past.  Some people have had trouble with the software (PowerChute), but I never had any issues.

The marketing lingo on UPS is generally attrocious.  Leading people to believe their systems will run for extended periods on the UPS.  My main workstation, which runs at >300 watts continously, will only last a couple of minutes on the same UPS that I listed above.  My server consumes ~50 watts (more or less idling).
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:22 AM
  • Ken Warren said:

For simplicity, if you do decide to buy a UPS, I would buy a small APC UPS, or other UPS that can communicate using the same (USB) protocol. That way you will be able to use the UPS service that's built into Windows.

However, the use of a UPS with your server is unsupported, and some users have reported issues when they connected a UPS to their server.

Ken, Do you know any of the details about the issues people had when they connected a UPS?

I think I am definately going to buy a APC unit. I found a website last night (www.excessups.com) which is selling refurbished units. They sell the Back-UP CS 500 for ~$55. I usually buy new, but the price is so good, not to mention that it comes with a brand new battery and a 1 year warranty.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:32 PM
  • I have a APC Back-UPS ES 350 which works great with Windows or with the Grid Junction add-in. OfficeMax has it for $39.99.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Mike Ceranski said:

Ken, Do you know any of the details about the issues people had when they connected a UPS?

I would suggest searching, but there are "issues" with the search feature here in the forums at the moment... 

If memory serves, the usual sorts of things you might expect if your power is flaky. Inexpensive (i.e. consumer, cheap) UPS units generally tend not to behave well, and in particular tend not to generate "clean" power. So you might see server crashes when switching to battery, the server suddenly shutting off due to a power line fluctuation, even missing hard drives have been reported after connecting a UPS.

Personally, I would use either an APC SmartUPS or better, or a recognized high quality USP such as Liebert (which is what I actually use). An online UPS is better than a line interactive UPS in terms of performance, because it's always delivering power from the batteries. It's less efficient because power is converted first to DC, and then back to AC, but the power from the UPS is generally extremely well regulated and smooth.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Ok I will take everything into consideration. Thanks again for the great advice.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:42 PM