none
Unable to login to all Microsoft services with my Microsoft account RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

first of all I really am not sure this is the right forum but I will still try.

I've got a Microsoft account in my company's domain, let say nsimpraga@mycompany.com, which I use to login to everywhere I am asked Microsoft credentials for. For example today I've asked a couple of questions on MS forums, the first one on answers.microsoft.com where I successfully logged in with my @mycompany account and asked away.

Since my question was more corporate level I was directed here, to technet, where I was asked to also login using my Microsoft credentials. I tried my @mycompany email but it says that the account doesn't exist! So I just logged in with my old, private hotmail account.

This isn't the first time I am encountering this problem but it is the time I am too annoyed by it so I want to get to the bottom of it.

I suppose it has to do something with the difference between regular @outlook and @companyDomain accounts which I am not fully aware of. Can someone explain exactly how this works? 

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, August 8, 2019 2:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sounds like the difference is the work and personal accounts. A few years ago microsoft split them off separately. Only microsoft personal accounts are used here in MSDN / TechNet forums.

You cannot merge a work and personal microsoft account. What you can do is create an alias.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-or-remove-an-email-alias-in-outlook-com-459b1989-356d-40fa-a689-8f285b13f1f2

you can also chat or email microsoft account support here using the links at page bottom.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12429

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 8, 2019 2:53 PM
  • Ok, so basically it doesn't matter that my work account is in my company's domain, it's still a proper full Microsoft account? It depends from site to site if I can login with the account there?

Kind of weird, since I get the same login.live.com page but sometimes it accepts my mail sometimes it behaves like it doesn't exist/isn't a Microsoft account...

As far as Technet is concerned, that is a bit of a weird decision since I suppose a lot of corporate users come here asking for help.

Thanks for the info!

Thursday, August 8, 2019 3:01 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome. These forums predate the microsoft account changes. The forums here use a forums profile for each user that is linked with a one-to-one relationship to the microsoft account. The microsoft account is only used as the authentication method.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 8, 2019 3:06 PM