CRM Internet Facing Deployment (IFD) - Password Management RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have some users that access our Dynamics CRM application from outside the AD domain that hosts the CRM application.  When CRM is accessed in this way IE prompts for the AD username and password and the users can use the CRM application perfectly satisfactorily.  However, the users cannot change their CRM domain password and are not prompted when their password is about to expire.

We have considered using the CRM IFD option, but this doesn't seem to allow password management...as far as I can see from the documentation.

Any suggestions as to how we could allow users to manage their AD password in this situation would be very gratefully received.

Thank you.

Trevor.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Trevor, it depends on what type of service you are providing. If you are a Microsoft hosting partner providing hosted CRM to lots of customers then you're probably best looking into one of the third-party provisioning portals such as Parallels Automation, as these all provide many useful features including password management.

If you are a Microsoft customer providing CRM over IFD to some of your users, then you could either ask users to manage their password via a usual mechanism (either over VPN as Rhett suggested, or when they are in the office), or develop a webpage to enable them to change their password online. One of my graduate developers bought an Active Directory programming book and developed something in a couple of days.

Hope this helps.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter.

• Marked as answer by Trevor W Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:05 AM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:16 AM

All replies

• Probably need your users to use a VPN connection or similiar to access the netwrork and then change their password using the standard Ctrl-Alt-Delete -> Change Password option.
    MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Hi Trevor, it depends on what type of service you are providing. If you are a Microsoft hosting partner providing hosted CRM to lots of customers then you're probably best looking into one of the third-party provisioning portals such as Parallels Automation, as these all provide many useful features including password management.

If you are a Microsoft customer providing CRM over IFD to some of your users, then you could either ask users to manage their password via a usual mechanism (either over VPN as Rhett suggested, or when they are in the office), or develop a webpage to enable them to change their password online. One of my graduate developers bought an Active Directory programming book and developed something in a couple of days.

Hope this helps.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter.

• Marked as answer by Trevor W Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:05 AM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:16 AM
  • Hi Neil,

Thank you for your response.  I suspected that this was the situation but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking a readily available solution to this issue.  It does seem to me that the lack of a password managment function with the CRM IFD option severley limits the usefulness of the feature but there you go.

Thanks again for your reply.

Trevor.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:11 AM