Reusing my WGA kit on new laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a XP pro WGA kit from Microsoft and properly validated my PC about eight months ago.  The PC is failing and I intend to replace it with a laptop.  Will I be able to transfer the validated registration from my PC to a new laptop?

Thank you for your time and effort. Smile
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 10:49 AM

Answers

• Onenet,

The license that is sent to you for XP in the WGA Kit is a full retail license for XP, and the full retail End User Licensing Agreement terms for XP allow you to move the license from one computer to another.  So, yes, you are well within your EULA rights to be able to use you WGA kit license on the laptop.

The once license-one device rule still applies, meaning that the WGA Kit license can be on the failing computer OR the laptop, but not on BOTH at the same time.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Thanks, Dan.  I believe this policy of Microsoft is fair.  I'm happy to continue with their operating system and dedicated support.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 11:32 AM
  • Onenet,

You're welcome!

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:43 PM

All replies

• Onenet,

The license that is sent to you for XP in the WGA Kit is a full retail license for XP, and the full retail End User Licensing Agreement terms for XP allow you to move the license from one computer to another.  So, yes, you are well within your EULA rights to be able to use you WGA kit license on the laptop.

The once license-one device rule still applies, meaning that the WGA Kit license can be on the failing computer OR the laptop, but not on BOTH at the same time.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Thanks, Dan.  I believe this policy of Microsoft is fair.  I'm happy to continue with their operating system and dedicated support.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 11:32 AM
  • Onenet,

You're welcome!

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:43 PM