Questions about creating active active clustering server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Aloha All,

Been a long time since I've posted in a forum, forgive my lack of etiquette if any.

Here's my scenario:

I have a 2012 R2 domain with two servers who's primary functions are, web-app<-(DC) and SQL database<-(member server). We are bringing them in-house from external hosting. They are VM just an FYI, and so I have as many copies of them as I may need in case I break it.... not that that would ever happen ;).

My end goal is to set up active/active clustering, with quorum disk (SQL database will reside here ) so the web app/SQL is high availability.

For my theory, I have two nodes: node 1 and node 2. Each node is identical and consists of the two servers Web-app and SQL. 

My theory: (I will get any licenses needed for legitimacy, I just want to see if my theory works first)

I bring up Node 1 leaving it in its' original configuration, then bring up node 2 making sure Node 1 and 2 don't communicate. Set the services for the web-app/SQL in Node 2 to "disabled" prior to demoting the DC in Node 2. This effectively removes AD from Node 2 leaving two stand alone servers. Rename both Node 2 machines, then join them into Node 1's AD, promote Node 2's web-app server to a DC thus creating a single domain with the four machines and 2 DC's. Allow for replication, and presuming it doesn't blow up, I can then proceed to resolve any web-app/SQL errors, configure the cluster, move SQL to the quorum disk, reconfigure DNS, etc.

My question(s)(for the moment):

Is this possible, and what issues will potentially crop up with the web app/SQL? 

Any other issues I may not be aware of?

Both the web app and SQL rely on AD service accounts to operate, so I understand they will not work once AD is removed. However--- if I set the web app and SQL services to "disabled" prior to removing AD, then turn them back on when joined to the new(original) AD, will that help prevent issue with the web app and SQL since it will see the original service accounts again? 

Sorry for the confusion if any, I tried my best to be concise and provide as much detail as possible without making it sound like gibberish.

Any input and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Mahalo! (thanks)

RS

Ray Sperle

• Changed type Dave PatrickMVP Friday, December 11, 2020 11:24 PM question
    • Moved by Dave PatrickMVP Friday, December 11, 2020 11:24 PM looking for forum
    Friday, December 11, 2020 11:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'd try asking for help over here.

sql-server-general - Microsoft Q&A

windows-server-clustering - Microsoft Q&A

dotnet-aspnet-webpages - Microsoft Q&A

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Guido Franzke Monday, December 14, 2020 7:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Guido Franzke Friday, December 18, 2020 8:38 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2020 11:24 PM
  • Thanks, I looked for such forums in the category selection when creating the post but didn't see any. This was the closest I could find.

Will re-post in them.

Mahalo

Ray Sperle

Friday, December 11, 2020 11:39 PM
  • You're welcome.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, December 12, 2020 12:10 AM