Communication between two office... RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have two office, in office one we are able to communicate with voice as well as chat.. and same with office 2 but between this two office we are just able to communicate using chat  and no voice/video calls, they just disconnects.

Can you please help..

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:50 AM

All replies

• Could u please elaborate the setup? I mean whats setup in office 1 and 2?

in one go it seems firewall issue but still would like to know the setup to get closer to the real issue....

Regards,
    R. Kinker
    MCSE 2003 (Messaging), MCTS - LCS 2005, MCTS - OCS 2007
    http://www.ocspedia.com
    http://www.itcentrics.com/LCS_Home.htm
    Monday, July 21, 2008 5:56 PM

• In one office there is no firewall... and in other office there is
    PIX firewall

So if any communication gets past the firewall then all communication will traverse the firewall successfully.  The fact that users can see each other and im each other means that TLS is traversing the firewall properly.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:50 AM
  • Voice and Video calls are setup on random ports

You can however change these ports to some fixed ports (at least you need 10 open ports)

This can be configured using the "PortRange" registry keys: "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator\PortRange".

Using the Enabled, MaxMediaPort and MinMediaPort values.  These can be configured manually, or as part of Group Policy using the communicator.adm.

Download documentation and Group Policy here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dd3cae08-3153-4c6a-a314-daa79d616248&DisplayLang=en

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:31 PM
  • Thankyou very much ....

We do not want to change any default ports. As, if we change it,  we will have to change it for all remote users and if this ports are blocked at their end, then remote OCS users will not able to communicate with video chat..or voice...

We can just open the range of ports on the network of other office,  Let us know the range of ports we should open. Thanks.

Friday, July 25, 2008 10:20 AM
  • Do you mean that Remote offices are connecting over the internet? and not over the LAN?

Then you need to setup an OCS EDGE Server for connecting from the internet, this is the server that takes care of random ports passing through firewalls

Friday, July 25, 2008 3:18 PM

• Yes its connected over internet ,
    Also OCS servers are connected over internet using public IPs , EDGE server too...
    We are going to use ocs so that users can connect from any location ....

Saturday, July 26, 2008 6:01 AM
  • I assume that you mean that only EDGE Servers are directly connected to the internet and have public IPs

Your Front-End server is not connected to the internet

Can you maybe explain your situation a liitle better?

Monday, July 28, 2008 1:09 PM
  • We have 4 server :

One Frontend server
    One Database server
    One EDGE server
    One Mediation server

All server have public IP's and they are connected over internet...

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:31 AM
  • Why are the Front-End, Database and Mediation server connected to the internet?

The only server that needs to be connected to the internet is the EDGE Server!

How are your DNS Service Records configured for External Access?

How are your Internal DNS Service records configured

What are the FQDN of your EDGE Server Roles (Access EDGE, Conferencing EDGE and A/V EDGE)

What is the FQDN of your Reverse proxy

I think that your configuraion is not completely correct

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:15 PM

• We do not have any backup IP's all the servers are using frontend or public ips

We have register subdomain for external access of server and using EDGE server FQDN in order to access the server

ocs-cons-edge01.domain name  as edge server and FQDN
    Its same as external dns. records

We have not installed reverse proxy server...
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:54 AM
  • You are very confusing to me.

Let's start over ...

How does your network look like and where are your servers placed?

They can't be all on the internet?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:27 PM

• Okey, Our servers are located in AU and are dedicated servers, all are connected over internet I can RDP them, also they are protected using Firewall but all ports are open so that they can communicate over Internet.

I have installed AD on Frontend server and added all other server in it. Internal and External server name/domainname is same as computername.domainname. No Proxy server is installed.

Certificate which user uses to download is of edge server.

Our one office is at AU and our second office is in IN  We have another office in India and we are able to communication between IN-IN and AU - AU offices with no problem.  But communication between AU-IN office is not possible

We can communicate over Chat between AU-IN office but not over Voice.

Hope this will helps.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:31 AM
  • Your environment is not supported

- AD is not supported on Front-End

- Only EDGE Server should be connected to the internet

I suggest that you redesign your OCS infrastructure

Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:03 AM

• Okey Can you suggest the BEST infrastructure and on which server what role should I install...just a brief idea .. So that I can proceed with it...
    Monday, August 4, 2008 4:04 AM
  • Depends how your Active Directory is set up

I guess since you are all separated by the internet that you have Two forests?

Then you can install a Front-End and EDGE server in both offices and federate between them

You might consider VPN connections between the offices over the internet then you are connected as if you are using a WAN but have direct connectivity between offices

Then you could install the Front-End and EDGE in one office

This all depends on your bandwidth of your internet connection

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 8:14 PM