Backing up WHS?? RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to WHS and have done some searching and have not found an exact answer to some of my questions. I like the idea of drive extender, availability of affordable anti virus software vs running server 2003 or 2008. I am slightly old fashion and not a big fan of Microsoft Backup solutions especially when I've used Acronis over and over which has proved very reliable over the years. Guess I'm having trouble switching and placing my trust into something i haven't tried yet is probably more like it. My understanding is that I thought WHS was suppose to support Windows Image Formats, yet when I backup a drive it seems to just copy the folders and files into a recreated directory on the backup drive. I understand you cannot use Acronis home and server products on WHS due to drive extender (DE) even with a boot disk. Since Acronis server products would install on WHS; could Acronis be used for folder backups and DE be used to manage a certain set of drives?
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:18 AM

All replies

• Could you explain a little more clearly exactly what it is that you'd like to do? In general, though, backup tools other than the one built into Windows Home Server don't work well on Windows Home Server because they don't understand how Drive Extender manages your data.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:45 AM
  • Well I want to use drive extender, but I would prefer to backup with Acronis. As I mentioned I might be a little nervous switching to a new backup that i have never tried.   Can I do a file level instead of a drive level backup with other backup software?   I think in Acronis the actual option would be My Data instead of My Computer.  When you select My Data you are presented with options to select folders instead of drives.
    Friday, December 31, 2010 7:12 AM
  • If you're looking to back up your server, you should use the functionality that's built into the product. As I've already said, other tools don't understand Drive Extender and may not be able to back up your data. And if you use Windows Home Server you must use Drive Extender; it's not a feature you can turn off.

If you're looking to back a client computer up to your server, you can use other tools, but you will be giving up the storage efficiency and performance that Windows Home Server gives you.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 31, 2010 12:47 PM