definitive statement on system/data recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening,

The more I read on the WHS the more concerned I'm becoming.  What I would really like to know is what happens to my data if

1. The system disk dies.  I note that a significant part of the system disk forms part of the data pool.  This would imply system disk failure leads to data pool corruption and catastrophic data loss

2. Data Pool Drive[s] die.  Here again I assume data on a disk would be lost, with the potential for total data loss as a result of database corruption.

In this regard, I actually cannot see the point of the Home Server. as a backup mechanism since you have to make a backup of the home server data base together with a backup of all the Client PC backups.  Then to be safe you have to create another backup of the backup and store it off site [prefereable two backups of the backups stored off site in different locations].  So again what exactly does the WHS do, apart from creating business for HDD manufactures.

If the HDD's were reliable then all would be ok, you would only need one off site backup in case of fire/floor/theft, but currently this scenario does not exist - roll on affordable SSD's [although no doubt they will include a destruct mechanism after the warranty expires to ensure users keep the manufactures in business]

Regards, Paul
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:41 PM

Answers

• This is covered in the FAQ Drive failure risks . I'll also note that you misunderstand how Drive Extender works. There is no file/folder/share database.

Also see the Drive Extender technical brief for more information about Drive Extender, and the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief for more information about that feature.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:20 PM
  • Good evening,

The more I read on the WHS the more concerned I'm becoming.  What I would really like to know is what happens to my data if

1. The system disk dies.  I note that a significant part of the system disk forms part of the data pool.  This would imply system disk failure leads to data pool corruption and catastrophic data loss

Corruption, no.  Data loss from the shares is possible if you don't have Folder Duplication enabled for all of your shares.

2. Data Pool Drive[s] die.  Here again I assume data on a disk would be lost, with the potential for total data loss as a result of database corruption.

See above answer.

In this regard, I actually cannot see the point of the Home Server. as a backup mechanism since you have to make a backup of the home server data base together with a backup of all the Client PC backups.  Then to be safe you have to create another backup of the backup and store it off site [prefereable two backups of the backups stored off site in different locations].  So again what exactly does the WHS do, apart from creating business for HDD manufactures.

If the HDD's were reliable then all would be ok, you would only need one off site backup in case of fire/floor/theft, but currently this scenario does not exist - roll on affordable SSD's [although no doubt they will include a destruct mechanism after the warranty expires to ensure users keep the manufactures in business]

Regards, Paul
    There is a difference between redundancy and backup.  Redundancy (in this case, Folder Duplication) provides protection in case of a single hard drive failure.  Backup (typically off-site) provides protection in case of natural disasters, theft, etc.  (And yes, you should have both.)
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:45 PM

All replies

• Good evening,

Corruption, no.  Data loss from the shares is possible if you don't have Folder Duplication enabled for all of your shares.

See above answer.

Regards, Paul
    There is a difference between redundancy and backup.  Redundancy (in this case, Folder Duplication) provides protection in case of a single hard drive failure.  Backup (typically off-site) provides protection in case of natural disasters, theft, etc.  (And yes, you should have both.)
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:45 PM
  • This is covered in the FAQ Drive failure risks . I'll also note that you misunderstand how Drive Extender works. There is no file/folder/share database.

Also see the Drive Extender technical brief for more information about Drive Extender, and the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief for more information about that feature.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:20 PM