RestoreCD will not work RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer on my network where the RestoreCD will not work.

Background: I am currently using VAIL-REFRESH to monitor 2 computers: DESKTOP and LAPTOP. I recently needed to restore my C: on the DESKTOP computer. The DESKTOP has a SSD for Drive C—which only holds Windows 7 files. All other files are stored on a second internal 1Gb internal HD.

I booted using Restore CD and navigated to screen where I selected the date of the drive I wanted to restore.  After selecting the date, but before I reached the actual drives backed up- on that date, I received this message: Exception cannot continue-0xc0000025. This happened at same place on every attempt. Also tried several different dates.

To verify the quality of the RestoreCD I ran it on the LAPTOP. It worked fine- I was able to get to the Select Drive screen successfully.

Any ideas on what this error means?

SYSTEM: Intel i7 920- 2785 MHz, EVGA E758 motherboard, 6 GB DDR3 SDRAM and NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 video card with Windows 7 64-bit with Drive #1 - SAMSUNG MCBQE32G5MPP-0VA (29 GB) Solid State Drive

NOTE: My workaround was to pull the 2.5” SSD from DESKTOP and put it into my LAPTOP. I then used the RestoreCD to restore the DESKTOP files onto the SSD, that was temporarily residing in the LAPTOP. Upon completion, I removed the SSD from the LAPTOP and put it back into the DESKTOP.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:03 PM

Answers

• From Microsoft Connect team:

Posted by Microsoft on 9/28/2010 at 6:52 PM
    Thank you very much for submitting feedback to us via Connect. This is a known issue that ClientRestoreWizard_Refresh.exe is crashing as soon as the backup to restore is selected with 2nd chance AV, which was fixed in a later build – as a result we will be resolving and closing this feedback.

Best wishes,
    Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    • Marked as answer by Rosemont60 Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:35 AM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:34 AM

All replies

• Have you submitted a bug on Connect? It's likely to be a hardware or driver issue, but Microsoft is likely to want to look into it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rosemont60 Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:33 AM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:47 PM
  • I just submitted a bug report.
    • Marked as answer by Rosemont60 Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rosemont60 Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:34 AM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:31 PM
  • From Microsoft Connect team:

Posted by Microsoft on 9/28/2010 at 6:52 PM
    Thank you very much for submitting feedback to us via Connect. This is a known issue that ClientRestoreWizard_Refresh.exe is crashing as soon as the backup to restore is selected with 2nd chance AV, which was fixed in a later build – as a result we will be resolving and closing this feedback.

Best wishes,
    Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    • Marked as answer by Rosemont60 Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:35 AM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:34 AM

• FYI: See also feedback#596663

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:51 AM
  • I hope you dont close this too soon, the exact same error and issue is happening to me. As of 10/21/2010.

Bill

Friday, October 22, 2010 6:35 PM
  • I just ran into this while trying to restore a laptop with Win7 32-bit and the USB key produced on the Vail server.  Tried two USB keys with same results.  The same keys worked for another laptop running Win7 Pro 64-bit.  Is the later build mentioned above available for testing?

I didn't have to restore, but needed to test as part of my plans to upgrade when the final is released.  I appreciate the tip on drive swapping.  I'll keep it in mind.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:48 PM