Validation issues can't run diagnostics cab files blocked RRS feed

• Question

• Following the most recent Windows update, I'm receiving validation error messages (non genuine version, etc.).  After ensuring Active X is installed, I attempt to run the validation diagnostic found at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

I get different error messages that indicate the various files are blocked that include legitcontrolcheck.cab - ogacontrol.cab - selfhelpcontrol.cab

Anybody have a solution?

Thanks

Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:49 AM

Answers

• Hello BGGrit,

Sounds like you need to configure your protective programs (antivirus, firewall, antimalware, etc) to allow these files to download and install.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:25 PM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hello BGGrit,

Sounds like you need to configure your protective programs (antivirus, firewall, antimalware, etc) to allow these files to download and install.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:25 PM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:34 AM
  • No reply from Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:25 PM
  • No, it is still an annoying problem.  No firewalls, no antivirus blocking on my end. 

This problem did not exist prior to an automatic Windows update (my mistake for configuring my machine to allow automatic updates and installs).  I have read so much bull about this issue on these forums.  The number of proposed solutions is mind boggling, ranging from complex changes to registries, etc. to paying MicroSoft for a replacement validation disk? $30?  This is absolutely crazy.

This is definitely a legitimate OEM copy of Windows XP. 

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:57 AM
  • "BGGrit" wrote in message news:eaeace62-7e14-4636-9759-654af202e8f5...

No, it is still an annoying problem.  No firewalls, no antivirus blocking on my end. 

This problem did not exist prior to an automatic Windows update (my mistake for configuring my machine to allow automatic updates and installs).  I have read so much bull about this issue on these forums.  The number of proposed solutions is mind boggling, ranging from complex changes to registries, etc. to paying MicroSoft for a replacement validation disk? $30?  This is absolutely crazy.

This is definitely a legitimate OEM copy of Windows XP. 

Please try running the MGADiag tool, and post the report in your response  - it may give us some information to work with. So far we have very little to get our teeth into.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:47 AM
  • Can't run the MGADiag tool, error indicates blocked because of Unknown Publisher
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:48 AM
  • "BGGrit" wrote in message news:c969fa74-d387-4624-aff4-3fcae434e1c1...
    Can't run the MGADiag tool, error indicates blocked because of Unknown Publisher

right-click on it and select Properties - then unblock it.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:35 AM