Changing System Drive on HP WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I have an HP WHS with 1 x 500GB drive and 3 x 1TB drives.  I want to change the 500GB drive for a 1TB drive but, unlike the other three drives, there is not the option to remove the drive when I right-click on it.  I noticed there is a Windows logo next to the drive so I assume it contains the operating system.  So, can this drive be replaced or is there a reason not to replace this drive? (Such as WHS will not use it for general storage anyway).

Thanks

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:42 AM

Answers

• You cannot remove the primary drive from storage pool.
    Your only option is to remove this drive from the box, put in your new disk and go through the server recovery process according to the manual of your system.
    This should offer recovery or factory reset, and with the first option data will be preserved, as long as it is not stored on the former D: drive.
    This drive you can attach to another machine and check the (hidden) folder DE\shares for any contents, which may be unique for non duplicated shared folders.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:46 AM

All replies

• You cannot remove the primary drive from storage pool.
    Your only option is to remove this drive from the box, put in your new disk and go through the server recovery process according to the manual of your system.
    This should offer recovery or factory reset, and with the first option data will be preserved, as long as it is not stored on the former D: drive.
    This drive you can attach to another machine and check the (hidden) folder DE\shares for any contents, which may be unique for non duplicated shared folders.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:46 AM
  • Thanks for the super-quick response. 

So if I put a larger hard drive in, will the additional space be available or will the extra space be pretty much redundant?

If I choose recovery, is there much chance I will lose all or some of the data on the other drives?
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:50 AM
  • Hi,
    the additional space will be available on drive D:, which is usually the last one used (if all works as it should with 3 or more disks in the system). So if you have still plenty of disk space, there is no need to swap the disk.

A Server Recovery will preserve existing data, only user accounts, installed add-ins and other system customizations must be recreated and discovery.exe from the Program Files\Windows Home Server folder on each client executed. (Should do that only after finishing all system upgrades like Power Pack 1.)
    If something really goes wrong (i.e. Server recovery not offered as an option) you can still put in the old disk back.

Olaf
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:15 AM
  • Thanks Olaf.  All worked fine.  I'm 98% full on two of the drives but the primary drive is practically empty but I guess it won't fill until the other drives are full.  Thanks for all your help.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 5:37 PM