XP pro - Re-install after HD crash RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ok, I have spent that last 2 day reading and unfortunately I could not find anything that helps me. Here is my situation

1)      Purchased off Lease laptop from 3rd party store (3 years ago). It an IBM A30 so it’s over 5 years

2)      Pre-installed Windows XP Pro

3)      COA sticker is not an OEM sticker so most probably not IBM OS

4)      Recover disks dos not include the OS (XP pro) only the drivers

My hard drive crash a month ago and I purchased a new one. I have been trying to get my hand on the Windows XP Pro CD to re-install the OS. I have been able to get access to a copy of XP Pro SP2 but not the original XP Pro (they are very hard to find in SP2 has been released).

Of course my Keys are for XP Pro (pre SP1) so they do not work. Any suggestion how I can get my valid license of Window XP Pro installed?

Friday, November 2, 2007 7:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• A preinstalled Windows operating system is virtually always an OEM version.  Unless IBM can provide you with their Windows XP recovery disc designed for your specific IBM computer, you'll need to purchase a new license.

Example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116059

Friday, November 2, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response. I will try IBM but I guess I’m better off installing the extra version of XP home, since I have the disk and the keys.

Thanks

Serge

Friday, November 2, 2007 7:34 PM