Field Level Security is not supported on fields of type email? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a custom field with type=Single Line Of Text and Format = Email.

I am trying to enable the Field Security on it, but the radio button is disabled.

If I try to enable field level security on creation of a new field of the same type and format (email), I get an error saying "This field cannot be secured.". Does this mean field level security does not support email format?? Are these limitations documented anywhere?

Does anyone has any workaround?

Thanks.

captainsina

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:33 PM

All replies

• I wasn't aware there were other limitations beyond not being able to turn it on for out of the box fields. But you are right - I tested on both a CRM 2011 and 2013 organization and wasn't able to secure a text field formatted as email. I also tried exporting the entity and setting the flag prior to importing and it came back with the same error. The documentation I found doesn't mention this either: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg328273.aspx

Your other option might be you use some JavaScript to dynamically check the user's role(s) and work with it that way.

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Thanks for your reply,

The issue with JavaScript is that it is not really security, users can still use advanced find to access those fields.

Cheers.

captainsina

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:09 AM