Problem installing Connector Software for Windows Home Server 2011 on a Windows To Go (Windows 8.1)-based system RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am having a problem trying to install the Windows Home Server 2011 Connector software on a “system” running Windows To Go (Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit).

The problem occurs when I try to run the “Connect a Computer to the Server” wizard.   The initial window of this wizard appears (i.e. the window which describes what this wizard does).   When I click “Next”, I get an error in the next window, which reads:

“This computer is running a version of the Windows operating system that is not supported to connect to the server.”

For readers’ information:

1. The Windows To Go system is installed on an external hard drive.   The operating system installed is Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit.   In case this is relevant, the Windows 8.1 Pro on this Windows To Go drive is licensed under a Volume License.

1. The Windows To Go (Windows 8.1 Pro_x64) system is a member of a domain.   The domain is based on a single computer, running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

The Windows Home Server 2011 computer has been in use for about three months.   (It has replaced a Windows Home Server (original version), which has been in use for several years, on another, older, computer.   I stopped using the original version of Windows Home Server, when Microsoft ended support for Windows Server 2003.)

I have already successfully installed the Connector software for Windows Home Server 2011 on three other computers in this network, two desktop computers, and one laptop, and they are all functioning correctly.

The versions of Windows on these three computers are:

-Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit, on one desktop, and the laptop

-Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, on one desktop.

Also, for the readers’ information, these three computers are also members of the domain.

Steps I have tried, to correct this problem:

1. Booted the Windows To Go on two different computers on my network.   The same error occurs on both these computers, when I attempt to install the Windows Home Server 2011 Connector on the Windows To Go system.

1. “Un-joined” the Windows TO Go system from the domain, making it a member of “Workgroup”.   After doing this, the same error occurs when attempting to install the Windows Home Server 2011 Connector software.

I do realise that running Windows 8/8.1 Pro on a Windows To Go system is not officially supported by Microsoft – I am wondering if this may be the cause of this problem.

Any help anyone can offer will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Peter Selig

Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:35 AM

Answers

• Hello Eve,

Thank you for your reply to my query.

To let you, and others readers here know, I have actually succeeded in installing the WHS 2011 Connector software on my Windows 8.1 Pro To Go system, and have successfully completed a backup of this system on the WHS 2011 computer.   I only completed this a few hours ago - I was just getting ready to write a follow-up post about this, when I noticed your reply to my initial query. :)

As mentioned by Phil Harrison in an answer to a question in a discussion "Can't do client restore from Dashboard in WHS2011 after upgrade to Windows 10",

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a9a89e0a-62c4-4242-913f-cf79d7c40c51/cant-do-client-restore-from-dashboard-in-whs2011-after-upgrade-to-windows-10?forum=whs2011

it seems that the if the UEFI hotfix (KB2781272) is not installed on the WHS 2011 server, this can cause different errors to do with "communication" between a Windows client computer and the WHS 2011 computer.

On that basis, I checked to see if this update was installed on my WHS 2011 - it was not!   I downloaded and installed this UEFI hotfix on my WHS 2011 system.   I then re-attempted to install the WHS 2011 Connector software on my Windows 8.1 Pro To Go system, and it worked!

Thanks for checking about whether a Windows To Go system is supported for use as a 'client' on a WHS 2011 network.   I think this may be of interest to other readers here.   

I have these thoughts about the prerequisites for connecting a Windows To Go system to the home server, including hardware requirements.   The hardware requirements, as I understand them, for a Windows To Go (say, Windows 8/8.1) system are very similar to that for a "normal" installation of Windows 8/8.1 (i.e. the Windows 8/8.1 installation installed on, and booting from, the internal hard drive).   On that basis, a computer with the hardware suitable for running, say, Windows 8.1 in a "normal" installation, ought equally to support running Windows 8.1 on a Windows To Go system attached to that (same) host computer.

Further, to let you know, earlier today I have successfully connected a desktop computer running Windows 8.1 Enterprise (64-bit) (in a "normal" configuration, not Windows To Go) to the WHS 2011, and run a backup of that computer successfully.

Thank you for your help with this, Eve, and thanks to Phil Harrison for his suggestion to install the UEFI hotfix.

Kind regards,
    Peter Selig

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Monday, October 26, 2015 3:27 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 1:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that  “Connect a Computer to the Server” wizard prompts error “This computer is running a version of the Windows operating system that is not supported to connect to the server.” on Windows To Go system - Windows 8.1 Pro.

Due to current test environment’s limitation(all are virtualized), I am unable to reproduce the situation that you mentioned.

I have not found any official document that indicates whether the Windows To Go system is supported. In general, there are prerequisites for connecting a computer to the home server, including hardware. As a Windows To Go system, there might be some limitations.

I have successfully connected Windows 8/8.1 to WHS 2011. I would recommend you to connect a Windows 8/8.1 (not Windows To Go) to WHS, and check to see if it only happened on Windows To Go system.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:58 AM
  • Hello Eve,

Thank you for your reply to my query.

To let you, and others readers here know, I have actually succeeded in installing the WHS 2011 Connector software on my Windows 8.1 Pro To Go system, and have successfully completed a backup of this system on the WHS 2011 computer.   I only completed this a few hours ago - I was just getting ready to write a follow-up post about this, when I noticed your reply to my initial query. :)

As mentioned by Phil Harrison in an answer to a question in a discussion "Can't do client restore from Dashboard in WHS2011 after upgrade to Windows 10",

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a9a89e0a-62c4-4242-913f-cf79d7c40c51/cant-do-client-restore-from-dashboard-in-whs2011-after-upgrade-to-windows-10?forum=whs2011

it seems that the if the UEFI hotfix (KB2781272) is not installed on the WHS 2011 server, this can cause different errors to do with "communication" between a Windows client computer and the WHS 2011 computer.

On that basis, I checked to see if this update was installed on my WHS 2011 - it was not!   I downloaded and installed this UEFI hotfix on my WHS 2011 system.   I then re-attempted to install the WHS 2011 Connector software on my Windows 8.1 Pro To Go system, and it worked!

Thanks for checking about whether a Windows To Go system is supported for use as a 'client' on a WHS 2011 network.   I think this may be of interest to other readers here.   

I have these thoughts about the prerequisites for connecting a Windows To Go system to the home server, including hardware requirements.   The hardware requirements, as I understand them, for a Windows To Go (say, Windows 8/8.1) system are very similar to that for a "normal" installation of Windows 8/8.1 (i.e. the Windows 8/8.1 installation installed on, and booting from, the internal hard drive).   On that basis, a computer with the hardware suitable for running, say, Windows 8.1 in a "normal" installation, ought equally to support running Windows 8.1 on a Windows To Go system attached to that (same) host computer.

Further, to let you know, earlier today I have successfully connected a desktop computer running Windows 8.1 Enterprise (64-bit) (in a "normal" configuration, not Windows To Go) to the WHS 2011, and run a backup of that computer successfully.

Thank you for your help with this, Eve, and thanks to Phil Harrison for his suggestion to install the UEFI hotfix.

Kind regards,
    Peter Selig

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Monday, October 26, 2015 3:27 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to let me know the result.

Your sharing might be helpful for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:21 AM