New features RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Just received a key fro msoft as part of the next stage of the beta (thank you).

The email that carried the key said that activating onecare with the key added additional features e.g. Features like centralized backup for all the PCs in your circle, printing to an automatically shared printer from any PC in the circle, and monitoring and fixing issues for all your PCs from a single PC.

But I seemed to have these features anyway? Or have i missed something?

Tom

Friday, August 10, 2007 5:38 PM

Answers

• Nope. You haven't missed anything. :-)

You get the basic functionality for those features with a LiveID even if not activated. When activated, the behavior is the same, with at least one exception - removing a PC from your circle causes that PC to no longer be activated and sets it to expired.

-steve

Friday, August 10, 2007 6:09 PM

All replies

• Nope. You haven't missed anything. :-)

You get the basic functionality for those features with a LiveID even if not activated. When activated, the behavior is the same, with at least one exception - removing a PC from your circle causes that PC to no longer be activated and sets it to expired.

-steve

Friday, August 10, 2007 6:09 PM
  • Ahh - cunning!

Friday, August 10, 2007 6:25 PM
  • LOL! Yes, I think it is a step closer to managing the PCs on your subscription that we've asked for before. As long as you have a Circle, you can see the PCs on your subscription on the hub. :-)

-steve

Friday, August 10, 2007 7:09 PM
  • Yes it's quite clever, but doesn't the central backup concept clash with the Msofts new home server system?

Tom

Friday, August 10, 2007 7:45 PM
  • Not at all. If you have a Windows Home Server, OneCare backup can be turned off. Keep in mind that OneCare backs up data. Windows Home Server backs up the entire PC and allows you to perform a "bare metal" restore in the event of a failure.

-steve

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:57 PM
  • Fair point, I have considered Home server (I am a beta tester for it but at the moment I haven't got a spare machine to put it on) but as i tend to just back up data anyway (if/when my machine bustsits pretty simple to just reinstall xp and all the applicatons - with a broadband connection getting all the updates is a doddle) its a cheaper option to have onecare and a external usb drive than buying home server and a dedicated pc.

Tom

Monday, August 13, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Yes, indeed. Your last point is probably the key point to consider. If you have 3 computers on a LAN, you can pick up a USB drive and use it as centralized storage for all 3 computerswhile attached to one of them. The total cost of the USB drive would be about $100 or so, depending on the size of the drive. Windows Home Server will set you back quite a bit more - and to backup multiple computers and use the shared folders feature, you're going to want more than just a small drive in the WHS box.

-steve

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:10 AM
  • Based on our sums it would seem that onecare, maybe, for many households the more cost effective backup solution (a mirror backup is nice but not always what you want) - best not tell the sales team for WHS!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 9:45 PM
  • You are correct! it is way more cost effective and WHS is targeted at a higher end home user who wants the added benefits of such a solution. It does not offer all of the other protections features of OneCare, though, so it makes sense to have OneCare be aware of WHS.

-steve

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:55 AM