One or more server items were not included in Server Backup RRS feed

• Question

• This problem has just started after months of trouble free service. I receive the following message in Alert Viewer "The scheduled backup did not finish successfully and returned the following error code: 0". The solution is apparently to check the connectivity of my hard disks, which of course are all connected!

However, if I look at the details of the failed backup, the backup shows as "Incomplete" but each of the 4 disks (System Reserved, Operating System, D: & E:) all have a Green check mark next to them and  status "Successful". There appears to be an inconsistency here between the individual disks and the overall reported status.

I have rebooted the server and run "Check & Repair" on all disks including the server backup drive. There is plenty of free space on all disks. I disabled backups and then set them up again which appeared to fix the problem for a couple of days before it returned.

The failure however is not consistent, for example a Scheduled backup had failed and immediately afterwards a Manual backup succeeded. But it's not just a question of Manual vs Scheduled as both have failed at various times over the last few days. Currently all backups seem to be failing.

Any ideas?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:35 PM

Answers

• An intermitantly failing disk? Try to run an extended test on the disks.

Use a disk anylizing software tool.

• Marked as answer by Phil Harrison Friday, October 7, 2011 1:40 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:12 PM
  • I second Garry's suggestion. Disable backups, remove the server backup disk, and run chkdsk /r on it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Digging around in the Windows Logs, System, I discovered the following error occurring at the same time as each of the backup failure times:

"The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block"

Of course, Harddisk1 was on the only disk that I had not already checked with chkdsk! When run, it discovered and fixed an error on the data disk:

"Windows replaced bad clusters on file 6210"
    "Adding 1 bad cluster to Bad Clusters File"

Backups are now currently working - thanks Garry & Ken for pointing me in the right direction.

Phil

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 1:40 PM

All replies

• An intermitantly failing disk? Try to run an extended test on the disks.

Use a disk anylizing software tool.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:12 PM
  • I second Garry's suggestion. Disable backups, remove the server backup disk, and run chkdsk /r on it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Digging around in the Windows Logs, System, I discovered the following error occurring at the same time as each of the backup failure times:

"The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block"

Of course, Harddisk1 was on the only disk that I had not already checked with chkdsk! When run, it discovered and fixed an error on the data disk:

"Windows replaced bad clusters on file 6210"
    "Adding 1 bad cluster to Bad Clusters File"

Backups are now currently working - thanks Garry & Ken for pointing me in the right direction.

Phil

Friday, October 7, 2011 1:40 PM
  • I have had this some problem ever since I installed Windows Home Server 2011.   I rotate drives weekly, and it happens randomly on all three drives that I use.  So, I am very suspicious of a hard drive problem.  Looking back at the backup log, I've had this error 10 times in the last 5 weeks,  with the errors spread more or less evenly across all three drives.

I've tried analyzing the disks and no problems have ever been found.   When I check the drive which was incompletely backed up the only folders it lists are ones I meant to exclude.

Friday, October 7, 2011 1:48 PM
  • I rotate drives weekly, and it happens randomly on all three drives that I use.  So, I am very suspicious of a hard drive problem.

Are you talking Server backup drives there? If so, it points to one of your data disks - have you done a full sector scan on them all?

Actually your problem is not the same as mine as none of my data disks ever showed as failing backup - just received a warning that the overall backup failed.

Friday, October 7, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Phil,

Thanks, that was an insightful comment.  You're correct, my issue is server backup, so I did not have the same problem as you.  I am sorry, don't meant to hijack the thread.   I only have one data disk that actually has data, and ran the analysis on it.  Nothing was found. 

Vern

Monday, October 10, 2011 10:42 PM