none
Problems with Genuine Advantage RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi wonder if anyone can help me, when I try to run windows update I get the following message in a box on the blue top line of box it says WgaNotify Setup Error

Then there is a red cross in the box and the message is

Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.

When I click on box it goes and then the Automatic Update message is
    Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
    Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool (KB873374)

Someone suggested changing the cryptographic service to automatic but it is already set at automatic.

I then clicked this link http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ whch gave these results

Passed Active scripting allowed
    Passed Display images enabled
    Passed Computer time and date correct
    Passed ActiveX enabled
    Failed Windows validation ActiveX loaded
    Failed Office validation ActiveX loaded
    Failed Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded

I did the resolve now bit but it reported the same as previous.

So I ran the diagnostic tool linked from here and this was the result

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Validation Control not Installed
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-G3Q7X-8MT9X-J8FF3
    Windows Product Key Hash: N30v2v25nXBWmnVmQA6bgACz6EA=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2145081-07181
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {722762FA-7225-4F6B-A031-F1B74F0C3812}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_BB5C1257-89-80070005_78155E4D-216-80070005
    Resolution Status: Validation Control not Installed

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\AVANTB~1\avant.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\licdll.dll
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\crypt32.dll
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.bin
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.dat
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.sig
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\syssetup.dll

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{722762FA-7225-4F6B-A031-F1B74F0C3812}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-J8FF3</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2145081-07181</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1214440339-1715567821-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTELR</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20021226000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>FSC SYSTEM, FUJITSU SIEMENS, FUJITSU SIEMENS, FSC SYSTEM</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>46993F4F0184205E</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Fujitsu Siemens Computers</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17565</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me out, thanks Monique
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 11:26 PM

Answers

• Monique67UK,

Please rerun the mgadiag utility, and on the Windows tab look for the "Resolve" button in the lower left, click on this button, let it do its thing.  When it completes, restart the computer and try Windows Update once more.

Post back to tell us what it did and if it told you to do any additional steps.

Monday, July 23, 2007 2:03 PM
  • Adjust Internet Explorer security settings for ActiveX control behavior 

Internet Explorer may not be configured to download ActiveX controls for security reasons, or you might have declined to install the ActiveX control when Internet Explorer prompted you to download, install, or run the control.

Please wait while the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls install. The Microsoft Genuine Advantage program requires the installation of these ActiveX controls.

Do you see Internet Explorer's Info Bar displayed as shown in this picture?

If so, follow the two steps below to install the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls from Microsoft.

If not, and installation of the ActiveX control does not occur, try installation again.

To install the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls:

1. Right-click on the Info Bar and select Install ActiveX Control (shown below).

2. In the Internet Explorer Security Warning dialog, click the Install button.

Are you ready to try again?

After you have completed the steps above and the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls have been sucessfully installed, continue on to run the test again to make sure that the problem has been resolved.
    I did the right click but it is still the same.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:14 PM
  •  

Monique,

Set your default browser back to Internet Explorer. Currently your browswer is set as:  Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\AVANTB~1\avant.exe

Then try to validate again. Please post back and let us know how it worked out.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 26, 2007 10:53 PM
  • I reset my explorer to default by using tools is that correct? As it is still not working this is the results of scan

Passed ActiveX enabled

When I try to install updates I get error

WgaNotify Setup Error

Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on the computer (which it is)
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Re-run the MGA Diagnostic tool. After you hit continue, you will see on the bottom left a button that says "resolve" . Click that and It should take care of your problems. If, for some reason, if a seperate window comes up and says that there were some errors, close the tool and restart the tool. it should say genuine and you should be good to go.

If the above procedure does not resolve your issue, follow this second procedure:

Follow the steps below to resolve these cryptographic errors.

1) Click on Start, click on Run
    2) In the Open box, type CMD and then click OK. 
    3) At the command prompt type the following command and Press Enter

regsvr32 softpub.dll

4) You should receive a message that DllRegisterServer in Softpub.dll succeeded, click OK
    5) Repeat Steps 3 and 4 to re-register the following files

• wintrust.dll
    • initpki.dll
    • dssenh.dll
    • rsaenh.dll
    • gpkcsp.dll
    • sccbase.dll
    • slbcsp.dll
    • mssip32.dll
    • cryptdlg.dll

6) After all the above files have been re-registered, type Exit at the command prompt to close it and return to Windows.
      7) Restart Windows and try to authenticate Windows again.

Thursday, September 6, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Monique,

Please try the following:

Start \ Run

Type cmd then click OK

In the command prompt type the following command : Net stop wuauserv      (Press Enter)

In windows navigate to C:\Windows and Delete Softwaredistribution   Also delete the same folder in C:\Windows\System32

In command Prompt type the following :

Net start wuauserv     (Press Enter to Start Windows update services)

Try Windows Update

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 6, 2007 9:30 PM
  • I tried what you both said but when I go on the update I get this message

Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating software for use with the website…

The website uses ActiveX controls to determine which version of the software your computer is running. If you see an ActiveX warning, make sure the control is digitally signed by Microsoft before installing it or allowing it to run.

I have clicked on the ative x to install but I still get this message

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. Take the following steps to try solving the problem:
    • Refresh the page.
    • In Internet Explorer, delete your Temporary Internet Files by going to the Tools menu and clicking Internet Options.
    • Close and then re-open Internet Explorer.

Error number 0x8DDD0004

I cleared temp files like it says but still getting all the above.

Friday, September 7, 2007 12:00 AM
  •  Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.The same error message again

Sunday, September 9, 2007 9:13 PM
  • How To Fix The "Cryptographic Service Error": http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html

Sunday, September 9, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Monique,

Please let us know if the information Carey posted resolved your problems. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, September 10, 2007 8:08 PM

All replies

• Monique67UK,

Please rerun the mgadiag utility, and on the Windows tab look for the "Resolve" button in the lower left, click on this button, let it do its thing.  When it completes, restart the computer and try Windows Update once more.

Post back to tell us what it did and if it told you to do any additional steps.

Monday, July 23, 2007 2:03 PM
  • Adjust Internet Explorer security settings for ActiveX control behavior 

Internet Explorer may not be configured to download ActiveX controls for security reasons, or you might have declined to install the ActiveX control when Internet Explorer prompted you to download, install, or run the control.

Please wait while the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls install. The Microsoft Genuine Advantage program requires the installation of these ActiveX controls.

Do you see Internet Explorer's Info Bar displayed as shown in this picture?

If so, follow the two steps below to install the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls from Microsoft.

If not, and installation of the ActiveX control does not occur, try installation again.

To install the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls:

1. Right-click on the Info Bar and select Install ActiveX Control (shown below).

2. In the Internet Explorer Security Warning dialog, click the Install button.

Are you ready to try again?

After you have completed the steps above and the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls have been sucessfully installed, continue on to run the test again to make sure that the problem has been resolved.
    I did the right click but it is still the same.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:14 PM
  •  

Monique,

Set your default browser back to Internet Explorer. Currently your browswer is set as:  Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\AVANTB~1\avant.exe

Then try to validate again. Please post back and let us know how it worked out.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 26, 2007 10:53 PM
  • I reset my explorer to default by using tools is that correct? As it is still not working this is the results of scan

Passed ActiveX enabled

When I try to install updates I get error

WgaNotify Setup Error

Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on the computer (which it is)
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Re-run the MGA Diagnostic tool. After you hit continue, you will see on the bottom left a button that says "resolve" . Click that and It should take care of your problems. If, for some reason, if a seperate window comes up and says that there were some errors, close the tool and restart the tool. it should say genuine and you should be good to go.

If the above procedure does not resolve your issue, follow this second procedure:

Follow the steps below to resolve these cryptographic errors.

1) Click on Start, click on Run
    2) In the Open box, type CMD and then click OK. 
    3) At the command prompt type the following command and Press Enter

regsvr32 softpub.dll

4) You should receive a message that DllRegisterServer in Softpub.dll succeeded, click OK
    5) Repeat Steps 3 and 4 to re-register the following files

• wintrust.dll
    • initpki.dll
    • dssenh.dll
    • rsaenh.dll
    • gpkcsp.dll
    • sccbase.dll
    • slbcsp.dll
    • mssip32.dll
    • cryptdlg.dll

6) After all the above files have been re-registered, type Exit at the command prompt to close it and return to Windows.
      7) Restart Windows and try to authenticate Windows again.

Thursday, September 6, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Monique,

Please try the following:

Start \ Run

Type cmd then click OK

In the command prompt type the following command : Net stop wuauserv      (Press Enter)

In windows navigate to C:\Windows and Delete Softwaredistribution   Also delete the same folder in C:\Windows\System32

In command Prompt type the following :

Net start wuauserv     (Press Enter to Start Windows update services)

Try Windows Update

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 6, 2007 9:30 PM
  • I tried what you both said but when I go on the update I get this message

Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating software for use with the website…

The website uses ActiveX controls to determine which version of the software your computer is running. If you see an ActiveX warning, make sure the control is digitally signed by Microsoft before installing it or allowing it to run.

I have clicked on the ative x to install but I still get this message

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. Take the following steps to try solving the problem:
    • Refresh the page.
    • In Internet Explorer, delete your Temporary Internet Files by going to the Tools menu and clicking Internet Options.
    • Close and then re-open Internet Explorer.

Error number 0x8DDD0004

I cleared temp files like it says but still getting all the above.

Friday, September 7, 2007 12:00 AM
  •  Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.The same error message again

Sunday, September 9, 2007 9:13 PM
  • How To Fix The "Cryptographic Service Error": http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html

Sunday, September 9, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Monique,

Please let us know if the information Carey posted resolved your problems. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, September 10, 2007 8:08 PM