Adding exisiting folders to shares RRS feed

• Question

• After installing my WHS I began adding some preexisiting HDD's to the storage pool by copying data off the drive onto DATA\Shares and then adding the drive to the storage pool and then letting storage balancing do its thing. Anyway, the items I copied over don't show up in WHS Console as shared folders. How do I get them to show up? I would prefer to not have to copy them into the predefined folders because I like the folder organization I have right now. Is there a way to do this? I tried to use the "Add" option in WHS Console but it only allows me to add a new folder and if I try to use the name of an existing folder I get an error message that the folder already exists.

Neogenesis3000
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 12:47 PM

All replies

• After installing my WHS I began adding some preexisiting HDD's to the storage pool by copying data off the drive onto DATA\Shares and then adding the drive to the storage pool and then letting storage balancing do its thing.

I assume you mean you copied to D:\shares?  If so, that's unsupported and can cause problems.  You should only copy to the UNC path (\\server\<sharename>).

Anyway, the items I copied over don't show up in WHS Console as shared folders. How do I get them to show up?

As long as you copied to a folder that exists in the Console, it shows up automatically.  If you copied it outside to some folder that WHS isn't aware of, it probably ended up under SYSTEM in the pie chart.  You can't force it to show up anywhere (WHS handles that on its own).  Where exactly did you copy it to?

I would prefer to not have to copy them into the predefined folders because I like the folder organization I have right now. Is there a way to do this?

You can create your own folders in the WHS Console, then copy the data to those folders (again, through the UNC path).

I tried to use the "Add" option in WHS Console but it only allows me to add a new folder and if I try to use the name of an existing folder I get an error message that the folder already exists.
    Neogenesis3000
    You can't create a folder that already exists.  Did you try creating a folder with a different name?
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 1:19 PM
  • The fully supported way to do what you want is to:
    • Create a share in the console using the folder name you'll want.
    • Connect your drive(s) to some client computer on your network.
    • Copy over the network to the share you've created.
    That can be slow, because you have to copy over the network. An unsupported but safe alternative is to:
    • Create the share as above.
    • Connect the drive(s) to your server.
    • Log in to your server directly (unsupported) using Remote Desktop or physical console.
    • Copy from the connected drive to \\localhost\<sharename>
    The method you used, to copy directly to D:\Shares\<sharename> is unsupported and potentially risky, as it's making an end run around Drive Extender.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response. You told me what I needed to know. To finish it out in case anyone else comes looking for this I'll answer some of the questions you asked. It was D:\Shares that I copied too. I copied the folders outside the predefined WHS folders. Finally, what I think I am going to do is this:

1. Rename all teh folders I copied over by adding a '2' or some other character to the end.
    2. Create folders via WHS Console "Add" with the names of the original folders I copied over.
    3. Copy contents of the aforementioned renamed folders to the newly added folders.
    4. Delete the folders with '2' in their name.

"You can't create a folder that already exists.  Did you try creating a folder with a different name?"

This is very true.
    Neogenesis3000
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 1:57 PM