Start Up Errors with program not working or stopping. RRS feed

• Question

• Every day when I start my computer I get an error message on one care that the program has been stopped or is not working and to restart my computer.  I have to close the error and manually open one care.  When I do this it all seems to be fine and I have a green Icon.

How do I fix this start up error??

Also, is there a number I can call for assistance?  I tried to use this chat yesterday and could never get to the website.

It is very frustrating to find answer on the system to fix these errors if I can't speak to someone.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 7:41 PM

Answers

• It would seem that your PC may have a resource issue at startup since you are able to get OneCare started manually each time. You may want to disable startup programs that you really don't need. There is an option to do this within OneCare (if you are using 2.0), change settings, Tune-up, Change startup settings. Otherwise you will need to use msconfig by going to Start, Run, and typing in msconfig.

There were forum problems on Friday, unfortunately, but they were fixed by evening. I never did learn what the cause of that was.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:43 PM

All replies

• It would seem that your PC may have a resource issue at startup since you are able to get OneCare started manually each time. You may want to disable startup programs that you really don't need. There is an option to do this within OneCare (if you are using 2.0), change settings, Tune-up, Change startup settings. Otherwise you will need to use msconfig by going to Start, Run, and typing in msconfig.

There were forum problems on Friday, unfortunately, but they were fixed by evening. I never did learn what the cause of that was.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:43 PM
  • I am having the same start-up problem, but I cannot even manually start the program.  We have only had it for about 2 weeks.

Jennifer

Monday, December 31, 2007 1:34 AM
  •  jenniferjello wrote:

I am having the same start-up problem, but I cannot even manually start the program.  We have only had it for about 2 weeks.

Jennifer

Jennifer, reach out to support for this problem - 

-steve
    Tuesday, January 1, 2008 7:58 PM
  • I have found a solution to this problem.

I have had problems with OnceCare V2 running on Vista -- both the beta and release.  After installing and running OneCare, it seems to work fine for days or weeks, but then all of a sudden OneCare will not boot up and I get that error dialog box.

I was able to go into Services and start the Windows Live OneCare Service manually, so I decided to try setting the Service to run "Automatic - Delayed Start" rather than the default "Automatic".  So far this has worked fine and OneCare starts up properly.  My understanding is that the problem was that some of the required services did not have enough time to start before OneCare, so Onecare was not able to start immediately at startup.

Give it a try.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:10 PM