media connector RRS feed

• Question

• Should the media centre connector automatically keep a copy of all media (video, recorded progs etc) on the WHS? ie if I record a show will be reside both on the media centre PC and in the WHS?
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 7:19 AM

All replies

• Should the media centre connector automatically keep a copy of all media (video, recorded progs etc) on the WHS? ie if I record a show will be reside both on the media centre PC and in the WHS?

No.  When you record a TV show, it's only on your MC PC.  You can set it up to automatically archive your Recorded TV shows to the server, but when you do that, it automatically deletes the TV show from your MC PC once the archive is complete.

You can, however, archive it as a different file type by using the compression options, which would then leave the source file on your MC PC and the new file on the server.

Sunday, April 4, 2010 3:22 PM
  • So just to help me understand : one of my goals is to use WHs as a "backup taker", storage for backup and as a place to stream video to my TV (the media centre is a long way from the TV). I wnated to have a laptop connected to the TV  where I could "receive" recorded programs and play them on the TV. Do I have to manually copy any recorded TV shows to the WHS?

Sunday, April 4, 2010 5:40 PM
  • So just to help me understand : one of my goals is to use WHs as a "backup taker", storage for backup and as a place to stream video to my TV (the media centre is a long way from the TV). I wnated to have a laptop connected to the TV  where I could "receive" recorded programs and play them on the TV. Do I have to manually copy any recorded TV shows to the WHS? 
    If your goal is to have your Recorded TV show (in it's original dvr-ms/wtv file type) in both locations (your Media Center PC and your server), yes.
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 8:08 PM