Raid 5 in WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have taken 4 1TB drives from a Thecus i5500 (that was only ever set up and never used) and have put them into an HP N40L Microserver.  WHS 2011 is setup on a seperate boot disk of 250Gb, which will hold the operating system and any programs. I have set the four drives as a Raid 5 array, which I can see and it would appear copy files to.  In properties the Raid array shows as used space 177MB (not sure why as nothing is on it) and free space as 2.72Tb. However in Disk Management they show in the Status section as Resynching and they have been doing this for the last 24 hours. Should I delete the Raid 5 array and start again or wait? If I get rid of the array and start again how do I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Daedalus

• Edited by Daedalus1 Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:53 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:45 PM

All replies

• First, don't use software RAID. Performance isn't what you'll want it to be, and recovering a degraded or failed array is harder than you think.

If you want to use RAID to protect your data, get a couple of external drives, back your server up regularly, and take the backups off-site instead. If you want to use RAID because it will let your server continue to run if a drive fails, the HP N40L supports RAID-1; use that instead.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:00 AM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is I am now commited to the Raid 5 option on the HP server. No money left for anything else; so I have to make it work as best possible!  It is backing up home PC's, photos, kids college work etc (from college hopefully via the internet). My own workstation has its own 3Ware raid controller in it but has been getting very flaky and having only just started work fully after a 2 year layoff I cannot afford to sort that out either, but it is backed up.

I just need to know how to start to rebuild the array as this RESYNCHING message is still there after 48 hours now.

Many thanks

Daedalus.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:45 PM