Vista reactivation with switchable graphics card. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I'm using a Lenovo laptop with switch able graphics.
    I purchase this macine with a OEm version of Vista Home premium (32-bit)

I used this for a while (not problems when i switch between the Ati graphics card and the intel graphics card.)

Recently I 'updated' from the vista OEM home premium 32-bit to the 64-bit version of windows vista business. (this because of the 4 Gb of memory in the notebook ant the fact that I'm attending university where my laptop is part of a network.)
    The PROBLEM is that when I now switch between the Ati and Intel graphics card windows wants to reactivate, because it's detected hardware changes.

Is there a solution for this problem ??

sincerely,

GC

Saturday, September 19, 2009 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hello GC007,

Making one hardware change shouldn't normally trigger a reactivation event.

There are 2 possibilities:

1) You recently install some Drivers (which can sometimes change the hardware ID of the hardware it controles)  these Drivers plus the Graphics card switch would likely be enought to cause the reactivation

2) For some reason switching the Graphics card is, in fact, enought to trigger the reactivation.

To test this, switch the card again, reactivate and the (without doing anything else) switch the cards again. 

If Vista doesn't ask to be reactivated again then the issue was probably related to 1) above and there shouldn't be any problem going forward.

If Vista does ask to be reactivated again then the issue is that switching the cards is triggering reactivation.  Unfortunatly, I am not aware of any workaround. 

I would, however, recommend reactivating by Phone.  when you call the number, you will be greeted by a Phone Prompt, either select the option to talk to a Live Activation Rep or if there is no option, don't enter anything, that should force the Phone Prompt to transfer you to the Live Rep.  Once you are talking to the Live Activation Rep, while he/she is helping you reactivate explain the issue and see if they have any advice.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:37 PM

All replies

• Hello GC007,

Making one hardware change shouldn't normally trigger a reactivation event.

There are 2 possibilities:

1) You recently install some Drivers (which can sometimes change the hardware ID of the hardware it controles)  these Drivers plus the Graphics card switch would likely be enought to cause the reactivation

2) For some reason switching the Graphics card is, in fact, enought to trigger the reactivation.

To test this, switch the card again, reactivate and the (without doing anything else) switch the cards again. 

If Vista doesn't ask to be reactivated again then the issue was probably related to 1) above and there shouldn't be any problem going forward.

If Vista does ask to be reactivated again then the issue is that switching the cards is triggering reactivation.  Unfortunatly, I am not aware of any workaround. 

I would, however, recommend reactivating by Phone.  when you call the number, you will be greeted by a Phone Prompt, either select the option to talk to a Live Activation Rep or if there is no option, don't enter anything, that should force the Phone Prompt to transfer you to the Live Rep.  Once you are talking to the Live Activation Rep, while he/she is helping you reactivate explain the issue and see if they have any advice.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Hello Darin MS,

Thanks for the information. I will try it.

I will chanche teh bios settings back to default, (os detection of switch able graphics, etc..)
    Ans reactivate the copy of vista in the high performace setting (both the ATi and Intel graphics card are then visible in vista's harware info window.)
    And after activation is will switch to the ennergy efficients state (here only the Intel card is visible in vista's hardware) en see if the copy of vista stays active.

Between reading your post an now I have contacted Microsoft, but the Dutch tech support could only say that was one of the by you described problems ore it might be that the vista OEM home version is a SLP (System locked ...) vista version witch is bound to the hardware in the motherboard and does not have to be reactivated when you add harware. He tolled me the becaus I updated to vista bussiness that is not an OEM product that these problems arrose and that i might have to invest in a new vista SLP (system locked Productlicence) license.

Geert
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:01 PM