Automate Distribution of Custom Fields To Other To Live Project Files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using multiple projects in a Master Project configuration. We've been using some of the files for some time and I need to update some custom fields with new formulas and references.

Where the files already have the custom fields they hold their own configurations, e.g. formulas.

I want to programmatically open each file and update their custom fields to the new configuration.

I know the location of all the files and have distribution scripts I use for updating calendars, working times, and so-on, using hyperlink addresses.

When I try to apply the custom fields I find I can easily automate moving them to global, but I can't find away to get them out again without specifying the file name, e.g.

OrganizerMoveItem Type:=9, FileName:="Global.MPT", ToFileName:="Test.mpp", Name:="Charge Code (Text20)"

I've searched high and low for an answer. Am I missing something obvious?

BTW I know all about Project Server and how that would solve the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Whats Going Ahn,

First, what version of Project are you using? Second, is it updated with the latest service pack?

Try leaving off the extension in the destination file (i.e. use "Test"). Does that work?

John

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Yes you need the "to" file name and that file has to be open. You can replace the name with Activeproject.Name for the code to work with the active file.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

• Marked as answer by MorphaToo Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:34 AM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Of course I can. Thanks Mr Gill.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:34 AM