Missing Search in RDP RRS feed

• Question

•  

I noticed there is no search option in the start menu of RDP and the search button does nothing in Windows explorer.  Anyone else seeing this?
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:46 PM

Answers

• When you say the search button in Windows Explorer do you mean on your home PC or on the home server?  You shouldn't need to RDP into your home server, you can search for items via the share with a Windows Vista computer.

However, you should bug report this because the search bar on the task menu should be there.  Please review this link and file a bug: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3445338&SiteID=50

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Windows Home Server is meant to be a "headless" solution where all access is via the Windows Home Server Console or via the Remote Access website os simply accessing the functionalty through the Connector Tray Icon or through built-in functionality in a home computer operating system.

If you have a monitor plugged into your home server and you expect to use the software as a desktop PC, then you are looking for a set of solutions that the team prioritizes as things that we will most likely mark as "Won't Fix" as suggestions when submitted through the Microsoft Connect site.

If you want a client operating system with a monitor attached, then use Windows Vista or Windows XP.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:22 AM

All replies

• When you say the search button in Windows Explorer do you mean on your home PC or on the home server?  You shouldn't need to RDP into your home server, you can search for items via the share with a Windows Vista computer.

However, you should bug report this because the search bar on the task menu should be there.  Please review this link and file a bug: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3445338&SiteID=50

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:07 PM
  •  

Yes, the search function on the home server is missing from the home server Start menu as well as it being non-operational  from windows explorer on the home server.  I need to RDP in to search for a file that is causing issues.  "I'm looking for hpconfiguration.ini

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:25 PM
  • The Search Bar should be in the task bar - not in the Start menu.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:46 PM
  • Hi!

I think JBCi is referring to the 'classic' Windows Search we know from XP, which is replaced by Windows Desktop Search on WHS.

Although I know that I can search through a Vista computer (which will use the index of WHS), it would be nice to

have a way to enable the classic search, because sometimes I need to search for files on the C: drive which isn't indexed by WDS on WHS.

The only workaround I've found so far is to connect from a XP-client to \\server\c$ and start the search from there....

Anyway, no real show-stopper, as most people will never got to that point Big Smile

Regards, Alex

PS: PP1 is amazing, congratulations for your work!

PS2: Any schedule for the German beta?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:45 PM
  • I have never gotten classic search reinstalled on WHS. I can use the installation cab files from Windows XP, but the search window never appears even when you hit the search button.

Windows Desktop Search seems to have been built in and completely replaced the classic search.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:07 PM
  •  AliG575730 wrote:

PS: PP1 is amazing, congratulations for your work!

PS2: Any schedule for the German beta?

Alex, way to post a question at the bottom of a thread about a completely different topic ... Test team is still working on the German update package / power pack 1 build.   Hope to have an updated status by the end of this week or early next week,

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:32 PM
  • I agree this is a real annoyance. At least the Search button should be disabled or SOMETHING. Don't just leave it lying there, dead as yesterday's carp.

But you can coerce DS to search C: (at least in DS 4) by changing the locations it indexes. To do this (DS4 again) r-click on the search index icon IN THE SYSTRAY, not the one in the "DESKBAR". From there, Windows Search Options|Modify will enable you to add C: to the index instead of just the subset it searches now.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:37 AM
  • Windows Home Server is meant to be a "headless" solution where all access is via the Windows Home Server Console or via the Remote Access website os simply accessing the functionalty through the Connector Tray Icon or through built-in functionality in a home computer operating system.

If you have a monitor plugged into your home server and you expect to use the software as a desktop PC, then you are looking for a set of solutions that the team prioritizes as things that we will most likely mark as "Won't Fix" as suggestions when submitted through the Microsoft Connect site.

If you want a client operating system with a monitor attached, then use Windows Vista or Windows XP.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:22 AM
  • And if you want a capable-of-operating-headless server operating system, then use Ubuntu?

I see this situation primarily through RDP and NEVER when trying to use WHS as a client operatinsg system since that's not how I use WHS. As an example: I first noticed that the Search button was enabled but useless when searching for a .dmp file to submit in a bug. And you'd do that from the Connector Tray icon how??!?

IF WHS were a completely stripped down OS to do JUST ITS CORE functions (read: Linksys SLUG or similar), THEN, yes, the appliance UI should be completely and totally sufficient. (And lots of people want to exploit even the SLUG to do more.) To its credit and detriment, WHS is equipped to do a LOT more. Doing more with it requires using the regular server UI through either RDP or with KVM attached. Also, many of the non-OEM WHS installations HAVE TO BE BUILT with KVM and optical drives since the firmware demands to install WHS headless are not supported in very many (any? does it use EFI?) system boards that any garage shop or home builder can obtain. Given that, it seems the regular UI ought to, at some level, work.

What does the Search button on an Explorer window on WinServ2003R2 or WinServ2003SBS do? If it behaves the same way, then, well, so be it. Seems tacky, but so be it. If the designers' intentions were as completely slanted to the appliance model as you suggest, they should have disabled RDP. How you'd actually really live with the full-blown OS and all its configurability and complexity under the covers without RDP and with just the appliance interface is another question. the Toolkit add-on is a sign that the original appliance UI is insufficient even for users who buy MSSes and have never heard of RDP. And you can't submit a memory dump through the Toolkit add-on.

p.s., I fully expect they "WON'T FIX" this item.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:37 AM