File/Folder Compression RRS feed

• General discussion

• I like that the system gives me the ability to use duplication but I wish it offered the ability for me to turn on compression to save space on things that are not accessed very often... for example a Downloads directory.  Has all the goodies found from the internet and I keep them should I need them again...

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:34 AM

All replies

• Jason, because of the way Drive Extender works, you really can't compress or encrypt files or folders on WHS. What you see in the shares are "tombstones" on the D: partition, 4k pointers to where the actual files are on other disks in the storage pool. When you turn on compression or encryuption, all you affect is the folders and tombstones, with no net gain; it doesn't compress or encrypt the actual files on your other disks.

The same thing is true of disk quotas, BTW, though for slightly different reasons. Because of the way DE moves files around, the original creator of a file owns only the tombstone. The Administrator account is the one that owns the actual files in the file system. A quota will effectively only limit the number of files a user can store on WHS; because the tombstones are all 4k in size, a 4MB quota (for example) would limit a user to 1000 files, or a 4 GB quota to 1,000,000 files.

Me, I'm a "throw more hardware at the problem" kind of guy, so I don't feel a need for compression... Smile
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:14 AM
  • What about if you enable compression for all the drives in the storage pool? Shouldn't that compress the file as it is created on the primary drive and preserve the compression when migrated to the additional drives?

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 4:34 AM
  • In theory that should work. However, I haven't tried it. Turning on compression for a folder is one thing, but to compress an entire partition requires using the Disk Management MMC snap-in, and that's one of the tools we're warned against using.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:41 AM