Microsoft move could be the end of the JPEG RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft Corp. will soon submit to an international standards organization a new photo format that offers higher-quality images with better compression.The format, HD Photo -- recently renamed from Windows Media Photo -- is taking aim at the JPEG format, a 15-year-old technology widely used in digital cameras and image applications. Both formats take images and use compression to make the file sizes smaller so more photos can fit on a memory card. During compression, however, the quality of the photo tends to degrade.

Microsoft said HD Photo's lightweight algorithm causes less damage to photos during compression, with higher-quality images that are half the size of a JPEG. The format can also accommodate "lossless" and "lossy" compression, two methods of compressing photo data with different effects on image quality. Microsoft said adjustments can be made to color balance and exposure settings that won't discard or truncate data that occurs with other bit-map formats.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 4:37 PM

Answers

• It will lead to great impact on images
    Friday, March 9, 2007 8:25 PM
  • Ofcourse they will go for new Windoes Media Format..
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:40 PM

All replies

• It will lead to great impact on images
    Friday, March 9, 2007 8:25 PM
  • Yes buddy i had read this in a magazine too.. i think its called WMP(windows media photo)

but the thing is that how the camera industry reacts to it.. will they go for the new format or not??

Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Ofcourse they will go for new Windoes Media Format..
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:40 PM
  • MS always wanted to go with their own format, first with WMA, WMV and now WMP Stick out tongue

Monday, June 11, 2007 6:18 AM
  • MS rocks in these digital media formats.. They occupy less space and even then give the same clarity as other formats ...
    Monday, June 11, 2007 6:45 AM
  • Yes man i agree with you, We are the one who is benifitted, lesser storage used, with same quality Smile

But I think there is a problem, cross platform, i think we have to install plugins in other OS to play those windows media. Not sure whether those plugins come inbuilt or not.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 8:41 AM
  • That is the case everywhere.. we need an extra plugnin to play the Apple formats.. same is for MS.. but MS has lots of hidden technology, which is way too advanced..
    Monday, June 11, 2007 2:08 PM
  • i'm ready 4 that.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 10:45 AM