Does academic search index the full text of journal articles? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know whether Academic search indexes the full text of journal articles or just the title/abstract/keywords. I know both have their advantages and disadvantages. But is is good to know at what level text are indexed to be able to choose search terms wisely.

Thanks!

Jeroen

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 10:24 AM

Answers

• Hello Jeroen,

Great question! You can find information about the indexed content in our help documentation. To answer your specific question, Microsoft Academic Search does not store the full text of publications. However, if an identifiable link to the full text of a search result can be located, you will see a download link on the publication detail page. The download link will redirect you to the source of the publication, where you can access the full text. Some of these sources might require a personal or library subscription, membership fee, or other payment before you can download the publication.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Thomas, Academic Search Editor

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hello Jeroen,

Great question! You can find information about the indexed content in our help documentation. To answer your specific question, Microsoft Academic Search does not store the full text of publications. However, if an identifiable link to the full text of a search result can be located, you will see a download link on the publication detail page. The download link will redirect you to the source of the publication, where you can access the full text. Some of these sources might require a personal or library subscription, membership fee, or other payment before you can download the publication.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Thomas, Academic Search Editor

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Thanks! So my conclusion is that MAS does NOT index the full text of articles as Google Scholar does. That has implications for search terms to use.

Best,

Jeroen

Friday, June 14, 2013 9:32 AM