none
S & T 2013 Trial RRS feed

• Question

• I already have a registered copy of S&T 2011 and use it a lot. I recently got a pop-up announcing the Trial version of S&T 2013. Asked if I wanted to try it, I answered "Yes". That took me to the MS Download site where I saw a Trial labeled "ST_2013.exe". I downloaded it.

First of all, the file size indicated 1.44 GB - but it took 24 minutes to download! I thought that was strange since I can typically download that sized file in a lot less time than that (lots of space on my regularly-defragged hard drive + DSL Extreme).

Next is the main issue. The file that has downloaded and is on my hard drive does not run and does not open. A right-click + Properties only indicates that it is a "File" - not any file extension and no description - but it is certainly not an executable. When right-clicked to "Open", the dialog box asks what program I wish to use to open the file. That is definitely not right.

What is this file? It certainly doesn't appear to be the ST_2013.exe file that it is supposed to be. Next, where can I can the "real" ST_2013.exe file. I'd like to try the 2013 version before upgrading from the 2011 version for obvious reasons.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:13 PM

All replies

• Rename the file to ST_2013.exe and try again.
    • Proposed as answer by RichNC Monday, July 30, 2012 12:47 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 12:47 AM
  • That didn't do it, but the issue is solved. MS Store solved the problem and I now have the trial. BTW - Can't see anything significantly different between this version and the 2011 version other than the grtaphics. They still have not fixed any of the major issues and AFAIK there is no way to contact the "S&T Team" to offer any feedback or suggestions for changes in the program.But, there again, it's Microsoft - who would expect anything else from them? Their "know it all" attitude is distressing and I only use this software because DeLorme is even worse.
    Monday, July 30, 2012 12:16 PM