Improve Windows Live OneCare setup routine RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have installed widnows live onecare more than once. I would like to make a few suggestions regarding the Setup process.

1- the setup should inform te user about the percentage of the download which is completed through a progress bar.

2-The remaining time should be properly reported. The setup states that it will take 1-2 hours on a dial-up connection but in fact it take about 7-8 hours.

3-there must be a way to pause, and IDEALLY resume the setup in case there is a power faliure, internet disconnection due to any reason, system crash/freeze.

----------------------------------------

MICROSOFT SHOULD CONSIDER DISTRIBUTING TRIAL SOFTWARE, service packs THROUGH FREE-OF-COST CDS.LIKE ADOBE, SUN, IBM etc.These companys dont even charge you for shiping and hadling.

----------------------------------------

Microsoft should develop a comprehensive tool which when run on a troubled pc, can detect corrupted, missing, changed files, system misconfigurations,registry errors and make suggestions which can help restore a pc without re-sntalling the operating system.

A NEW TOOL SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN FUTURE WINDOWS INSTALLER CDS. THIS TOOL SHOULD GENERATE AN IMAGE OF THE FULL SYSTEM SO THAT THE OS AND THE INSTALLED APPLICATIONS COULD BE QUICKLY RECOVERED IN CASE THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION EXCEPT REINSTALLING THE OS. THIS TOOL SHOULD ALSO BE ABLE TO TAKE A SNAPSHOT OF THE APPLICATIONS AND THEIR SETTINGS SO THAT EVEN IF WINDOWS IS REINSTALLED AFTER FORMATTING THE C DRIVE, THE SNAPSHOT OF THE APPLICATIONS CAN BE EASILY APPLIED TO THE NEW INSTALLATION OF WINDOWS AND HENCE AVAOID REINSTALLATION OF THE APPLICATIONS.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 6:32 AM

All replies

• Thanks for your feedback. The download time on dial-up is most certainly an issue and I agree that a progress bar and potentially a pause/resume feature would in fact be very good.

-steve

Thursday, May 8, 2008 2:04 PM