altenative partition mode in install? RRS feed

• Question

• what about having a altenative partition mode? like the one in vista?

so more advanced people can install it without distorying aka formating whole harddrive?

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:08 AM

Answers

• There is not and will not be an alternative partitioning mode in Server Setup. This is by design, and it is because of the storage technology we use. If you have a drive that has stuff on it, back the data up first and then put it into your WHS. WHS is not a normal OS, it is a lot more sophisticated under the hood, and has more requirements than a standard Windows install.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:21 PM

All replies

• Something like:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1824472&SiteID=50
    ?

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:11 AM
  • no i mean

a option to skip the c & d partition making and only install on C:, like any standard windows install?, so i can create D: later, THIS will be a LIFE saver and a huge non-pain for users that purchase the OEM version on DVD/CD media, and has a home server that has OS on it before

how the OS install is now is that i put the DVD in, i have a 250GB HD with C: and D: with data and WHS completly deletes whole drive and installs it self on C: and makes D: and puts stuff on that by default, but what about people that has OS on C: and has data on D: and dont have space for taking backup of 250GB?, there should be a option to get WHS to install on C: partition and leave rest of the drive alone like any other windows version?, or is this there?, i havnt installed it yet on my server.

so 2 modes

1. Default (erases all data, makes C:\ and D:\)

2. Custom (lets you chose what you want like format C: and install it there, and not mess with everything else!) 

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:59 AM
  • "Somebody asked to be able to devote an entire drive to C, if you had multiple drives, and that'd be good suggestion too."

"
    selectable partition size is a good option, even having one drive as a dedicated OS dirve should be an option, imo."

EDIT:
    It's not an option, yet, but maybe you should actually install WHS first. I'm pretty sure it needs a D drive too.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:23 AM
  •  SME wrote:
    "Somebody asked to be able to devote an entire drive to C, if you had multiple drives, and that'd be good suggestion too."

"
    selectable partition size is a good option, even having one drive as a dedicated OS dirve should be an option, imo."

EDIT:
    It's not an option, yet, but maybe you should actually install WHS first. I'm pretty sure it needs a D drive too.

my point is you have to completly DELETE/format/REMOVE all the data on the harddrive you want to install WHS on, and thats a big problem when its a 250GB drive with data on!, and i dont think WHS needs a D: drive, it makes it after os install i think, so it should skip that part

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:40 AM
  •  Tommy LA wrote:

SME wrote:
    "Somebody asked to be able to devote an entire drive to C, if you had multiple drives, and that'd be good suggestion too."

"

EDIT:

my point is you have to completly DELETE/format/REMOVE all the data on the harddrive you want to install WHS on, and thats a big problem when its a 250GB drive with data on!, and i dont think WHS needs a D: drive, it makes it after os install i think, so it should skip that part

You haven't even installed it yet and other than inplace upgrade (not an available option) it SHOULD format the drive. You should never install WHS, or any other OS, on a drive with data you want to save. My second WHS was installed on a 4x250G RAID5 array (~700G) but I wouldn't expect to have data on it and save anything for an OS install. I think they need the D drive for DE.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:53 AM
  •  SME wrote:
     Tommy LA wrote:

SME wrote:

"

EDIT:

You haven't even installed it yet and other than inplace upgrade (not an available option) it SHOULD format the drive. You should never install WHS, or any other OS, on a drive with data you want to save. My second WHS was installed on a 4x250G RAID5 array (~700G) but I wouldn't expect to have data on it and save anything for an OS install. I think they need the D drive for DE.

one of the reasons a partition is, its becorse you can put data on one partition and do what ever you want with another partition

and formating a whole drive is kinda "realy open your eyes", meybe they should put a option to create DE? in Console or something for people that wants to install it on one partition

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:12 AM
  • Again, install it first.

I'm pretty sure they use a separate D drive, instead of dumping it all on C is due to DE.

Good luck...

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:57 AM
  • There is not and will not be an alternative partitioning mode in Server Setup. This is by design, and it is because of the storage technology we use. If you have a drive that has stuff on it, back the data up first and then put it into your WHS. WHS is not a normal OS, it is a lot more sophisticated under the hood, and has more requirements than a standard Windows install.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:21 PM