XP 64 bit support? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there ever going to be XP 64 bit support? I upgraded to 64 bit because of the ram limitations and now I'm stuck without Livemesh. I understand that XP is being phased out in order to accommodate Vista products but I find it a little intolerable that other syncing programs are willing to take the time to release a 64 bit version for XP & Vista but Microsoft themselves fail to support their own operating system with their own programs.

I'm not saying this in a rude way but I'm a bit frustrated that Windows Live Messenger & Live Mesh both don't work on my XP 64 bit system.

Thanks,

Branden
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Branden,

We do not currently have plans to support Windows XP 64-bit edition.  We are, however, open to feedback on that decision.  Please feel free to ask for this in our Wish List sticky thread.  We are constantly revisiting decisions like this one in response to customer suggestions, so it's definitely worth it to let us know what you'd like to see going forward.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Branden,

We do not currently have plans to support Windows XP 64-bit edition.  We are, however, open to feedback on that decision.  Please feel free to ask for this in our Wish List sticky thread.  We are constantly revisiting decisions like this one in response to customer suggestions, so it's definitely worth it to let us know what you'd like to see going forward.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:18 PM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi Branden,

Thanks,

Ben.

This is very disappointing.  Last night I was excited about Mesh because it perfectly met my needs to keep a group of files in sync across 3 machines, a desktop at home, a laptop at work and a desktop at work.  Alas, my work desktop is a 64-bit XP machine, configured as such because of the additional memory it allows our developers to utilize.  As an organization we are not prepared to take the leap into Vista, for a variety of well documented reasons. 

Another disappointing lack of support for the 64-bit world, from the very company that should be leading the charge.

Back to carting around a USB drive everywhere I go...
    Friday, July 18, 2008 12:37 PM
  • Larry - Register a comment in the Wish List. It's obvious the feedback is being listened to, so add your voice.

What other sync utilities have you tried?
    Friday, July 18, 2008 10:00 PM
  • I want to lend my voice to this wish too.
    I find it sad that the only programs, I am aware of, that do not run/work under x64 are from MS (which should have an in on developing for the plattform).
    Live Mesh, One Note 2007, ... give me a break.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:05 AM
  • I believe that you will find *many* programs that do not work on XP 64 bit. While it is a great OS, it is a specialized OS. You will find much more support for Vista 64 bit, which is gaining in acceptance as a mainstream OS, while XP 64 bit was and always will be a niche OS.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:08 PM
  • I wont be able to use Live Mesh until there is support for XP 64. Syncplicity is a great alternative, they offer 2 gb data accounts for free and will also be supporting OSx shortly.
    Monday, September 1, 2008 12:43 PM
  • ivar.c said:

I want to lend my voice to this wish too.
    I find it sad that the only programs, I am aware of, that do not run/work under x64 are from MS (which should have an in on developing for the plattform).
    Live Mesh, One Note 2007, ... give me a break.

Those other vendors want to sell you a program. Microsoft wants to sell you 64-bit Vista, or a newer server OS (I'm sure that Live Mesh will be made to work with those). Not a slam on MS - they are trying to target their potential growing markets.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 9:27 PM
  • addiktion said:

Is there ever going to be XP 64 bit support? I upgraded to 64 bit because of the ram limitations and now I'm stuck without Livemesh. I understand that XP is being phased out in order to accommodate Vista products but I find it a little intolerable that other syncing programs are willing to take the time to release a 64 bit version for XP & Vista but Microsoft themselves fail to support their own operating system with their own programs.

I'm not saying this in a rude way but I'm a bit frustrated that Windows Live Messenger & Live Mesh both don't work on my XP 64 bit system.

Thanks,

Branden

Windows live messenger does work on XP X64, I installed it on my system. It's the downloader that isn't compatible with X64. Try going to the Softpedia website and download it from there, it doesn't use the downloader that Microsoft are too lazy to make compatible with their own software.

It’s a pity Microsoft failed to mention that they were selling an operating system to people with no intention of giving it the same support as its 32bit brother. What they showed was nothing less than total and very public contempt towards their customer base.

Could someone from Microsoft Explain why they sold Windows XP X64 to a loyal customer base without telling them they will only supply a bare minimum of support.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:22 PM
  • try to install in command prompt in XP x64:

livemesh.exe -force

first install gave me an error, but tried again and it installed, seems to be syncing files but not sure about remote desktop

installed okay on the following:
    DELL XPS m1330 laptop, 4GB RAM
    XP Pro x64 SP2
    • Proposed as answer by EKKC Monday, February 9, 2009 4:58 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 4:57 AM
  • I used the above method of running the program using the command:
    livemesh.exe -force

It errored out twice for me (the first time may have been internet problems), then it worked! Seems to be working fine.

Thanks!

P.S. I am a little dissapointed that this Microsoft program has an installer for Apple computers, but not Windows XP x64. I, and many others, adapted to x64 not as a niche OS, but to take advantage of the advances in processing hardware and welcomed a Microsoft solution instead of the already plentiful Linux systems. Most of us didn't install this OS to fill a certain "niche" requirement, we wanted the same Microsoft compatibility and system support we've come to expect from the largest software consortiam in the world. What a dissapointment to find that it has been niether compatible nor supported. Most of us would switch back to XP 32-bit in a heartbeat, if we hadn't already shelled out the $140-$200 for this product and don't want to waste it by buying a 32-bit license. I hope Microsoft has learned their lesson, we sure have: wait for the 64-bit migration to be supported, then switch.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:48 PM
  • Larry_D said:

Another disappointing lack of support for the 64-bit world, from the very company that should be leading the charge.

They're actually doing quite well with Vista and Windows 7 64 bit support. I run Live Mesh fine on my 64 bit Vista system.

I hate to say this, but yes they are pushing for 64 bit systems to be Vista. In fact, I'd say 64 bit support really wasn't very good or popular until Vista.

Friday, February 27, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Thanks, EKKC, for this suggestion and thanks, Ellis, for stating that it also worked for you. I tried with the same results, right down to the initial failure, but now it's working.

A detail I don't think anyone else mentioned: I initially tried with the XP & Vista 32 version, but that did not work at all. The Vista 64 version succeeded, as described above.

I was this close to upgrading to Vista 64 just to use Live Mesh. Thanks for saving me from having to do that.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:34 PM
  • Remote desktop connection to my XP64 computer is working, too.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:38 PM
  • "livemesh -force"

Run this command with the 32bit installer, and it will install on xp64
    Friday, April 17, 2009 6:21 AM
  • Microsoft's lack of 64bit support is quite a disappointment to me as well =( They should be the alpha-example, and be able to crank out the code easily...

The 32bit forced installer gives this message.

"Please use the correct setup program for your processor."

Confirming that I used the 64bit vista installer for the force install.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Lack of XP 64 bit, not lack of 64 bit support. XP 64 is an old niche OS. A very good OS, but never widely deployed. It is based on a very different kernel than XP 32 bit or Vista/Windows 7, so developing anything for it is unique.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Chicken and egg, Stephen.  Lack of effort to develop for it sees lack of implementation, leaving the people who took the plunge high and dry.  

MS: "Here's our whizzy new 64-bit OS, it's the future you know."
    Me: "Cool! What can I run on it?"
    MS: "We're working on getting the software support, but in the meantime here's the driver list"
    Me: "Cool, all my kit is supported.  Now what about all those programs?"
    MS: "Haha, we can't be bothered. Did you hear Vista 64 is the shizzle now? Buy that instead, sucker!"
    Me: "-.- ....."

Making the assumption that because they did take that plunge and invest in an early-tech operating system, that they will do the same with others in the future, would be very dangerous on MS's part.  I certainly wont, because I've been badly burned with XP 64; I don't want to be discarded to the support scrapheap on a whim, just because I fell for Microsoft's "it's the future" hype at the time. 

Thanks to those people who come up with workarounds like these, which show that actually the developers have put the effort in to make it work on this platform, but the support is being removed as a political choice.

• Edited by mgreenaw Friday, July 23, 2010 3:24 PM formatting and stuff
    Friday, July 23, 2010 3:17 PM
  • This isn't a chicken and egg situation at all. XP64 was targeted at a specific market. Live Mesh was not developed for that market. Your issue with "being burned" by having adopted XP64 not withstanding, you might want to read this - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/d3fc17c7-eb28-4aa6-b82b-5b7fda961238

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, July 23, 2010 4:12 PM
  • This isn't a chicken and egg situation at all. XP64 was targeted at a specific market. Live Mesh was not developed for that market. Your issue with "being burned" by having adopted XP64 not withstanding, you might want to read this - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/d3fc17c7-eb28-4aa6-b82b-5b7fda961238

-steve

The issue about "being burned" is is what it is in the full sense of the word. Selling an O/S and keeping quiet about the fact that they will not support it with their own software cannot be referred to as enything other than "being burned. Microsoft broke trust with their custome base, as every XP X64 forum on the planet will tell you. This swindle proves that we need a competitor to force Microsoft to put customers first.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:33 AM