CRM 2011 Upgrade - Use Existing SQL Instance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I posted this in the General forum but didn't find the answers I was looking for.  Can anyone here help?

Thanks!

---

Hi,

I'd be grateful if someone could take a look at the plan below to upgrade our CRM 4.0 installation to CRM 2011 and advise if I'm on the right track.

We're currently running a two server setup consisting of a Windows Server 2008 R2 / SQL Server 2008 R2 (x64) VM hosting the CRM databases, SQL Server Reporting Services and the CRM SQL RS Connector and a Windows Server 2008 (x64) VM hosting CRM 4.0 itself and the CRM E-Mail Router. As part of the upgrade, I'd like to replace the front-end server with a new Windows Server 2008 R2 VM with a different name.

My upgrade plan is as follows:

1. Install the latest CRM Update Rollup (16) on the existing CRM servers
    2. Remove the E-Mail Router configuration for the current deployment (remove from the 'Deployments' tab) and uninstall
    3. Uninstall the CRM SQL RS Connector
    4. Shut down the current front-end VM
    5. Take full backups of the CRM databases
    6. Install CRM 2011 on the new front-end VM, selecting option to connect to existing SQL instance at the deployment options screen
    7. Install the new Reporting Connector on the SQL Server back-end VM
    8. Install the new E-Mail Router and configure as appropriate
    9. Install Outlook clients and reconfigure as required

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Monday, April 11, 2011 8:50 AM

Answers

• You shouldn't have to do anything with the email router but it doesn't take very long to uninstall so you can uninstall if you wish. 

In regards to importing the org as part of the install, you will need to install a dummy org first and then import the live once CRM is installed. 

I think connecting to a v4.0 MSCRM_CONFIG would bring unecessary complications.  Also you wouldn't need UR16 if you were decomissioning the server

Marc Collins www.QGate.co.uk
    Monday, April 11, 2011 1:58 PM

All replies

• Hi NJC1

I would

1. Take a back up of you existing database
    2. Uninstall SSRS data connnector from your SQL box
    3. Delete MSCRM_CONIG
    4. On you new machine, install CRM 2011 from scratch
    5. Import new organisation (if you have workgroup license then it will overwrite org that was created at install)
    6. Install email router, Outlook Client, SSRS data connector.

or to minimize downtime.

1. On you new machine, install CRM 2011 from scratch pointing to new SQL instance on machine 1
    2. Take backup of CRM 4.0 org
    3. Restore org to new instance
    4. Import org
    5. Install Components
    6. Distribute new URL
    7. Once happy, turn off CRM 4.0 machine

Monday, April 11, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Thanks for the advice Marc.  One of my goals is to use the existing SQL instance so I suspect the first set of steps will be more suitable.  I've got a few questions though:

• Do I need to uninstall / disable the E-Mail Router at any point?  The server that hosts the router also hosts CRM 4 so this will be taken offline as part of the upgrade.
    • During the CRM 2011 install do I have the option to import a new organisation or do I have to create a temporary one, import the new one then delete the temporary one?
    • Is there anything in particular that my original plan is lacking or is your suggestion simply a less risky alternative?

Thanks again!

• Edited by NJC1 Monday, April 11, 2011 1:05 PM Correct grammar
    Monday, April 11, 2011 12:51 PM
  • I think you are right on with your thinking.  The official step  by step guide is in the implementation guide.  Link to guide below.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9886AB96-3571-420F-83AD-246899482FB4

Jamie Miley
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Monday, April 11, 2011 12:55 PM
  • Thanks Jamie, this scenario doesn't appear to be covered in a great deal of detail in the Implementation Guide.  It's mentioned under the section about migrating from 32-bit CRM 4.0 but it doesn't cover what to do about the E-Mail Router.  It also doesn't mention whether you need to disable your existing deployment before proceeding with the upgrade.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 1:04 PM
  • You shouldn't have to do anything with the email router but it doesn't take very long to uninstall so you can uninstall if you wish. 

In regards to importing the org as part of the install, you will need to install a dummy org first and then import the live once CRM is installed. 

I think connecting to a v4.0 MSCRM_CONFIG would bring unecessary complications.  Also you wouldn't need UR16 if you were decomissioning the server

Monday, April 11, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Thanks Marc.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Did you get your answer for this?
    Jamie Miley
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:45 AM