If Exporting to Excel and it does not balance read this it might save you hours! RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm sure there will be some out there who know this and would have gone straight to the problem but I didn't.....

I had exported a years worth of transactions, 2911 of them to be precise and my excel pivot table didn't match the MS-Money report I had exported.

Firstly fix all the currency conversion problems - it seems MS-Money converts to sterling for the report total but forgets to convert them when exporting!!!

Why did it still not balance - yes, you guessed it - MS-Money exports void transactions which it remembers to exclude when creating its own report totals. I know now and hopefully so do you all.

Sunday, February 6, 2011 7:48 AM

All replies

• You were exporting via .CSV from reports?

VOID is present in Account Transactions in the Num column. Of course, if the transaction was numbered and then voided, the number is not exported this way.

The way around the currency conversion problem is to report Account Transactions for alll accounts of a given currency in one report. Of course, then stitching back together transactions that converted currency from one account to the other is problematic. IIRC, if you have a TRANSACTION with an associated currency conversion that was used to enter the individual transaction, the conversion ratio and native currency amount of that transaction is lost forever.

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Yes, got there in the end just a bit of manual work. The other problem I had was that the currency conversion was not the same on every transaction within the currency. Money has remebered the rate used at the time I had to go back and work each one out, luckily there were not too many.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:26 AM