none
Is there an issue with the Forums displaying all threads since yesterday in sequence in various Forums? 11/7/2016

General discussion

• I notice all threads do not seem displayed now in the Visual Basic Language Forum.

For example if I look at this persons threads https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=josh_- the top thread and second thread should be displayed in that order in the Visual Basic Language Forum but that is not the case. I can not find the top thread in the Visual Basic Language Forum however the thread directly after it is displayed in the Visual Basic Language Forum.

I will make a wild guess that Forums website code was altered in some fashion on Sunday and now the result is occurring which needs to be corrected apparently.

La vida loca

• Changed type Mr. Monkeyboy Thursday, November 10, 2016 12:25 PM Well it's really a discusion thread
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 1:23 AM

All replies

• Definitely have been some issues. I've gotten The search service is down a few times. fissues replied with This is mitigated. Now the site is up and running, but I don't think things are quite right. Queries are still slow, threads sometimes out of order and list views are not updating correctly.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 4:11 AM
  • I also noticed issues yesterday. I replied to a thread, but then could not find it in the forum view. It was in the "My Threads" view. The forum view seemed to be behind without the latest activity. I also got messages about the service not being available briefly.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 3:57 PM
  • Issues seem to be ongoing. For the most part I think things are working but queries other than My Threads are still quite slow.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 4:01 PM
  • I was blaming the poor performance on the MS Redmond campus, but I seem to not be alone. Yes, queries are slow. And after a page loads, while I scroll it sometimes blinks and refreshes and I lose my place.

Edit: Search service performance is getting worse.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 5:17 PM
  • More search service issues, listviews still inaccurate and displaying out of order.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 10:31 PM
  • Either nothing is going on, or the views are out of date by hours.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:02 PM
  • I see slowness to open the links and always go the error

The search service is down. Please link directly to threads and come back later.

Is that a temporary issue?

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Thursday, November 10, 2016 8:08 AM
  • This has been happening off and on for the last day. See this similar thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c3f1f7b3-e694-422a-8f7e-664ed5126a66/is-there-an-issue-with-the-forums-displaying-all-threads-since-yesterday-in-sequence-in-various?forum=reportabug

Things seem better at the moment, although still slow. The forum admins (fissues) are aware of the issue.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 10:38 AM
  • Thank you Richard for the info

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Thursday, November 10, 2016 10:42 AM
  • Why this reply is marked as done. 

A moderator should know that Mark as answer is used as done. 

This seems to me misleading from the moderator.

Success
    Cor

Thursday, November 10, 2016 12:00 PM

Success
    Cor

Agreed.  Just had The search service is down. Please link directly to threads and come back later.

I am having this at work and at home

"Those who use Application.DoEvents() have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." - MSDN User JohnWein    Multics - An OS ahead of its time.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 12:22 PM

Success
    Cor

I just altered it to discussion thread. Sorry bout that.

La vida loca

Thursday, November 10, 2016 12:25 PM
  • Still having,

The search service is down. Please link directly to threads and come back later.

Things don't seem better, the seem bad.

"Those who use Application.DoEvents() have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." - MSDN User JohnWein    Multics - An OS ahead of its time.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 12:26 PM
  • Good day,

For the last several days I get this error: 
    "The search service is down. Please link directly to threads and come back later."

* It happened yesterday and today about the same time and continued for several hours at least (I did not tested all day by I noticed it around 19:00 Israel time). This is happening just now:

* I tested it on several machines from different places in the world and its the same from any place I tested (Israel, India, North Europe).

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Thursday, November 10, 2016 6:08 PM
  • Unfortunately this simply will have those interested in asking questions go elsewheres for their problems which in short causes lose of faith in Microsoft.

Perhaps they can rollback any changes that causes this issue or whatever was the catalyst causing this issue. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:34 PM
  • I have contact the Forum Escalation team and the engineering team is actively working for the fix.

signature   Ronen Ariely

Thursday, November 10, 2016 10:44 PM
  • Things seem to be working much better this morning (November 11).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Friday, November 11, 2016 11:08 AM
  • Yep :-)

Same for me... seems ok now

signature   Ronen Ariely

Friday, November 11, 2016 5:34 PM
  • I agree that things seem to be normal today.

Saturday, November 12, 2016 2:30 AM
  • I think it came back around 7 PM CST last night. I've asked a couple times for details of what happened but I get no response at all.

Saturday, November 12, 2016 2:34 AM
  • I don't think we ever get technical details about what caused the problem and how exactly it was resolved. But to me it also looks OK today.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Saturday, November 12, 2016 5:56 PM
  • FYI;

Hi Dave,

The cause for the issue is “our Social Forums indexing system had been overloaded, so we’ve been working to reconfigure and optimize our resources in order to mitigate the issues.

We also forwarded your request to our PM for more of an engaged communication between our DevOps and the users of the Social Forums and Social Technet sites, to include upcoming release and other information within the Announcement forum, https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=announce

Sunday, November 20, 2016 5:25 PM
  • That would be great if they communicated in the Announcements forum. It has not been used in a long time.

Sunday, November 20, 2016 6:31 PM
  • We will see what happens with that. I also suggested they could post updates during unplanned outages here.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/status/

my comment on this was the posts here were a bit vague and also after-the-fact.

Sunday, November 20, 2016 7:12 PM