An error occurred while retrieving the information from the database RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to setup a local cache following Liam's screencast on the MSF website. I can add the local cache to the project and then connect to the SQL Express 2008 database to select which tables I would like to sync. When I then continue to the Data Source Configuration Wizard I receive the following error...

(Also see screenshot)

"An error occurred while retrieving the information from the database:

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

This is a on a clean Vista SP1 PC with .NET 3.5 Beta 1, SQL Express 2008, VS 2008 Pro Beta 1 (eval) and MSF CTP 2. I've run a repair of VS and then reapplied the SP but no joy so far.

Any suggestions welcome!

Ben

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:32 PM

Answers

• Yes this was with the VS2008 SP1 Beta.

I gave up with that and created a Server 2008 Virtual PC and installed VS2008 followed by VS2008 Beta 1. I then installed SQL Server Express RC0 via the SQL Server ISO image.

All seems to be working now - well in terms of this issue anyway!

Ben

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:54 AM

All replies

•  

I assume you are using the VS2008 SP1 Beta. right ?

since you already have the sync completed and the local SSCE database created. so the problem scenario can be narrowed down to loading the dataset for the existing SSC database. but the error message is too generic, could you check, when this error occurs, which version of the system.data.sqlserverce.dll is loaded ?

thanks

Yunwen

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:24 AM
  • Yes this was with the VS2008 SP1 Beta.

I gave up with that and created a Server 2008 Virtual PC and installed VS2008 followed by VS2008 Beta 1. I then installed SQL Server Express RC0 via the SQL Server ISO image.

All seems to be working now - well in terms of this issue anyway!

Ben

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:54 AM