Files disappear from shared folders RRS feed

• Question

• A couple of days ago I set up my WHS and I've copied files into the shared folders from other folders on the server.  Initially I can open those files on the WHS and on other PCs on the network, but after a day or so the files disappear; only the folders remain.  It seems the files are transferred mysteriously to the \\data\DE\folders\{giberish}\shares folder.

Any ideas to stop WHS from moving these files automatically.  I want 'folder duplication' not 'automatic file movement' - I wasn't aware of this WHS "feature".

Friday, April 9, 2010 2:01 AM

Answers

• I'll note in passing that accessing the server desktop isn't supported. It normally will cause no problem, as long as all you do is view things. But attempting to make changes of any sort can have unexpected consequences.

No, what's the "gibberish" exactly? Is it 1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9? If so, the files are probably being moved there because of the way you placed them in the shares. If so, they should also appear here:

D:\folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\shares\etc.

In that case, copy them from that location to your shares, using the UNC path (\\server\share) to the share you want to put them in. There's a shortcut on the server desktop that will let you access your shares properly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Z-Ice Friday, April 9, 2010 3:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Russell Chase Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:36 AM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 3:47 AM

All replies

• Being new to the WHS thing I just learned about data extenders (DE).  Since I have more than one drive, whs is moving the files around to balance out the space on my drive.  That's fine, but why can't I normally access the files now? In order to do so I have to go searching for them on DE folder on the WHS.

Friday, April 9, 2010 2:21 AM
  • The behavior you are describing is really weird.  How do you normally access files on your server...or, where do you save the files.  You should never be accessing them through \\data\DE...  Your shares should accessible in folders like \\Server\Music or \\Server\Users\Bob from any computer connected to your home server.  Have you named your server "data"?  I'm a bit confused by the path you're giving us up above.  You definitely can rename your server (mine's named Gandalf :) ) and it'll work just fine, I just want to understand if that's what's happening or if the path you're giving us above isn't quite correct.

There shouldn't be any hunting around for files like you've mentioned.

Friday, April 9, 2010 3:18 AM
  • I was misleading in using the "\\" to describe the location.  I should have stated:  d:\data\DA\folders\{giberish}\shares\ .  The files originated on a drive I temporarly installed on the whs (I didn't add the drive to be used by the WHS software).  I then copied the files into the shared folders - d:\shares\ - and then removed the drive.  Initially I was able to access the files on network PCs via the 'shared folders on networks' shortcut.  However the next day (presumably after 'data extenders' activity) I only saw the folder structure of the files I copied.  I then had to get on the WHS and navigate to the DE folder to access the files.

Friday, April 9, 2010 3:38 AM
  • I'll note in passing that accessing the server desktop isn't supported. It normally will cause no problem, as long as all you do is view things. But attempting to make changes of any sort can have unexpected consequences.

No, what's the "gibberish" exactly? Is it 1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9? If so, the files are probably being moved there because of the way you placed them in the shares. If so, they should also appear here:

D:\folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\shares\etc.

In that case, copy them from that location to your shares, using the UNC path (\\server\share) to the share you want to put them in. There's a shortcut on the server desktop that will let you access your shares properly.

• Proposed as answer by Z-Ice Friday, April 9, 2010 3:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Russell Chase Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:36 AM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 3:47 AM
  • It was user error on my part.  Partly not knowing about data extenders and partly trying to move files around on the server box.  Everything is working fine now.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:35 AM
  • That's fine. Note, however, that files that appear in that specific location were "lost" by Windows Home Server, then "found" at a later date, but Windows Home Server was unable to reconnect them with the original tombstones in the shares. So it may indicate some other problem on your server. Running chkdsk on all the drives in your server wouldn't be a bad plan if you have some time.
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 11:43 AM